Should I take a year off before Law School?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sandro

Re: Should I take a year off before Law School?

Postby Sandro » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:27 pm

I took a year off. Best decision of my life. I think there is real value in taking a year off, not only to take a break from school for a bit but to gain some real world experiences. Sometimes I see all these posts from people striking out at interviews and cant help but wonder if it might be because they have basically lived in the sheltered world of undergrad/grad school for the past 7+ years.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:54 pm

+1

I think by taking some time off between undergrad and law school, it gives you perspective on the world, and some real life experience that you can talk about during your interviews. I think its good to get out of the "college bubble world" and see how life really is. There is a lot more to this world than the theories you learn in a college classroom, and witnessing and living in it, with responsibilities such as loan repayment, living expenses, and others, can help make you a well rounded canidate.

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:14 pm

I've been out of undergrad for 10 years and I am also the holder of a professional license...let me tell you that the "real world" and "real bills" are very highly overrated things to be in or have. Stay young and stay in comfty envirnoment for as long as you can...the real world is a cold and cutthroat place. I always look back on my undergrad days fondly...it's the best time of your life...no worries or responsibilities. Don't be in a rush to get out there...especially in this miserable Second Great Depression...and that's what it really is.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:47 pm

runningzigzag wrote:I've been out of undergrad for 10 years and I am also the holder of a professional license...let me tell you that the "real world" and "real bills" are very highly overrated things to be in or have. Stay young and stay in comfty envirnoment for as long as you can...the real world is a cold and cutthroat place. I always look back on my undergrad days fondly...it's the best time of your life...no worries or responsibilities. Don't be in a rush to get out there...especially in this miserable Second Great Depression...and that's what it really is.

I agree that staying in school as long as reasonably possible is a cool idea. But I'm trying to say that if you could wait a year and gain some experiences that would change yourself it would be a lot better than just going directly. I graduated, moved to a completely new city, and was working for the first time in my life leading a group of people in a professional setting.

Obviously if you cant find a job / its not economically feasible , but what are the downsides to taking a year off? I can see only positives. Plus more time to work on LSAT and your application.....

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:47 am

If you have the financial backing to take a year off to go and find yourself, then go for it. You seriously are not going to learn that much in a year anyhow, trust me. What you are looking for in experience takes over 5 years to get to anyhow...it just doesn't magically happen in 12 months.

When I was in my early 20's I sounded a lot like you and then reality sets in and slaps you in the face and you see how truly shitty it is out there.

Sandro777 wrote:
runningzigzag wrote:I've been out of undergrad for 10 years and I am also the holder of a professional license...let me tell you that the "real world" and "real bills" are very highly overrated things to be in or have. Stay young and stay in comfty envirnoment for as long as you can...the real world is a cold and cutthroat place. I always look back on my undergrad days fondly...it's the best time of your life...no worries or responsibilities. Don't be in a rush to get out there...especially in this miserable Second Great Depression...and that's what it really is.

I agree that staying in school as long as reasonably possible is a cool idea. But I'm trying to say that if you could wait a year and gain some experiences that would change yourself it would be a lot better than just going directly. I graduated, moved to a completely new city, and was working for the first time in my life leading a group of people in a professional setting.

Obviously if you cant find a job / its not economically feasible , but what are the downsides to taking a year off? I can see only positives. Plus more time to work on LSAT and your application.....

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Like I said, if you can go out and do something worthwhile its a good option but if your only alternative is working at burger king or some crappy phone center job, certainly do not. Positives outweigh the negatives in a lot of situations taking a year off. I know so many kids who graduated with/around my time who just took the LSAT once in Sept/Oct and jetted off to law school. Would they have benefited greatly from a year off, an entire summer to study for the LSAT and go from the TTT/TT's they are at now? I think so.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”