UPENN Interdisciplinary Approach

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sharpnsmooth

UPENN Interdisciplinary Approach

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Just want to make sure -- this means students take classes outside of law, right?

r6_philly

Re: UPENN Interdisciplinary Approach

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Yes you can cross register at most grad schools (without gaining separate admission) and transfer the courses back toward the JD. You get to meet a lot of people with different backgrounds in those classes, really good experience.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 pm

This is actually the norm at a number of top law schools these days. Penn prides itself on having done it for a long time, but this isn't as unique as it used to be.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:21 pm

sounds cool. im doing the 5 year essay, and very confused about what to write about so i was going to focus on this so it's good to know i'm talking about something that actually exists.....what is a realistic 5 year plan following law school....my plan was just to get a job, and work. i feel like this isn't interesting enough....any specifics about growth in law within 5 years.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:24 pm

vanwinkle wrote:This is actually the norm at a number of top law schools these days. Penn prides itself on having done it for a long time, but this isn't as unique as it used to be.

It also helps to have so many top level programs to choose from all within 2-3 blocks of the law school, I think that was one of the things they try to sell. Penn also promotes all these certificate programs that can get you some program completion for the resume without actually getting a join degree, which is pretty helpful (I'm planning on getting a Wharton certificate).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:27 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:sounds cool. im doing the 5 year essay, and very confused about what to write about so i was going to focus on this so it's good to know i'm talking about something that actually exists.....what is a realistic 5 year plan following law school....my plan was just to get a job, and work. i feel like this isn't interesting enough....any specifics about growth in law within 5 years.

Write about a plan where Penn would be the best school to help you achieve that plan.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:52 pm

is it pompous to talk about a long term political career?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:is it pompous to talk about a long term political career?

Not if you also apply to my school for a joint degree ;)

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:03 pm

hahaha not rich enough to spend more than 3 years in school. got peeps who need me.

but seriously--it's not pompous? i showed it to my girlfriend who said it makes me seem like a little boy----"when i grow up, i'm gonna do this and this and this blah blah blah"

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:25 pm

It's only 4 extra classes and it will make your chances at getting into politics better IMO.

It isn't pompous - some people genuinely want to grow up to be politicians - as long as you explain it genuinely. Also you better do a great job explaining why you are going to law school after wanting to be a politician for years and years. Here is where the joint degree would help your case.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm

i wanted to be an artist. i want to be a lawyer, but the more power the better.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:38 pm

What power does a lawyer have? You have to do well, get rich, so that you can enter politics at a later time. If you want politics more than you want to do law, then go to school and get into politics directly. It's considerably less costly and shorter than law. Job prospects may actually be better too.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:46 pm

yeah, i want $ first. a lot of it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:yeah, i want $ first. a lot of it.

Wrong career path.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

idk 160k starting medians to help people....what beats that?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:20 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:idk 160k starting medians to help people....what beats that?

1. chance of getting 160 is pretty remote by statistics - 30% of T14? so 1500 out of 60000? How about checking out the actual median and starting median of the law profession in general
2. you are not really "helping" people per se

What bests that?

Med and Vet actually help. Pharma and many tech positions require much less schooling, has similar median salaries as law profession, and has huge amount of future growth.

BTW, I don't know if you are serious or not. But I was seriously trying to help answer your question. I just want to point that out.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:idk 160k starting medians to help people....what beats that?

1. chance of getting 160 is pretty remote by statistics - 30% of T14? so 1500 out of 60000? How about checking out the actual median and starting median of the law profession in general
2. you are not really "helping" people per se

What bests that?

Med and Vet actually help. Pharma and many tech positions require much less schooling, has similar median salaries as law profession, and has huge amount of future growth.

BTW, I don't know if you are serious or not. But I was seriously trying to help answer your question. I just want to point that out.

i know it isn't the norm, but i am pretty confident at the least i'd get six figures.

i can't go into medicine, am not so good with technology and not big on pharmaceuticals. in terms of what i can do, i think it gives me the best opportunity at such a salary within the next five years.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”