Resume Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ragged

Resume Question

Postby Ragged » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 pm

When it comes to stuff I did in college such as honor societies, leadership positions and abroad programs. Should all of it go on the resume? It feels kinda childish putting it down. And if I do decide to put some of them down, should I bother explaining actvities/functions/responsobilities assosiated with them?

What do you think the pros and cons are of clattering your resume with a bunch on junk that might or might not sound important?

EDIT: I also have alot of voulanteer hours over the best 7 years - that prolly should go on there though now that I think about it.

Ragged

Re: Resume Question

Postby Ragged » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:32 pm

come on people, give me something I really wanna start applying today.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Depends how much space you have/how long you have been out of UG.

Definitely put the volunteer stuff.
Pick 2-3 activities/leadership (in UG and after) that you think are most imp, and if it is self explanatory, then just list the organization. If you were VP of something or were a participant but had some responsibilities, then 1 bullet each will suffice.

kiniru

Postby kiniru » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Unless you've spent significant time after graduation working, most of it should be about summer internships/jobs and your college extracurriculars. Since there's not much room on there anyway, I only put two extracurriculars (the most important sounding/seeming ones I had) but I decided to put more work experience on there.

You can list prizes/scholarships/etc you've won near the top with your school, saves space.
Study abroad is debatable.. I'd say if you need to fill out spaces, yes, otherwise, not really unless it's something really important to you?

Hope this helps

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks guys, that sounds about right.

Do you usually keep it to one page? Is 2 page resume with a bunch of stuff on it a minus?

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:45 pm

From what I've seen, most people tend to keep it to 1 page because they legitimately don't have enough relevant stuff to do more than that. Not everything requires an explanation.

Mine, however, is 2 pages, and I'm alright with that. The goal is to be succinct and use good judgment about what you add. But if the things you're adding are useful activities/jobs/leadership, then you're probably okay.

gtjackets530

Postby gtjackets530 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Over one page is usually a pretty big minus. There's always stuff to take off to bring it to a page.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:48 pm

gtjackets530 wrote:Over one page is usually a pretty big minus. There's always stuff to take off to bring it to a page.

+1. This is true in most every case. Though I don't think it's that big of a minus truthfully. It's not like it matters all that much in the first place.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:02 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
gtjackets530 wrote:Over one page is usually a pretty big minus. There's always stuff to take off to bring it to a page.

+1. This is true in most every case. Though I don't think it's that big of a minus truthfully. It's not like it matters all that much in the first place.

Yea alright. I got it narrowed down to 1 page with the most relavent stuff. I might also be able to fit the scholarships in.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:13 pm

Make sure you write HLS and tell them the sample resume they posted is a huge minus.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”