The value of EDing -- NYU/Columbia

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gendefect

The value of EDing -- NYU/Columbia

Postby gendefect » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 am

I just got off the phone speaking with the admission folks for both NYU and Columbia. I'm thinking about EDing to one of those schools, but I'm not sure which one, and may choose to not ED anywhere.

The admissions rep from Columbia said flat out EDing makes no difference in the likelihood of being accepted. He was extremely blunt about it.

The NYU rep said it made an extremely small, almost, but not quite, irrelevant, difference. She beat around the bush about it more.

I'm not sure I can always totally believe what the admissions folks say. Does anyone have any experience with this and can either confirm or deny what I've been told? Are admissions reps often misleading with this kind of information? If so, why?

I don't want to ED if it's not going to make a difference and then be locked in for no reason. But I find it hard to believe that the process would exist if it wasn't taken into account by the schools when making their decision.

sgtgrumbles

Re: The value of EDing -- NYU/Columbia

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:42 pm

I would love to hear someone's thoughts about this, too. I'm getting very nervous about my RD chances at NYU with my 3.58 and 174. Applicants did well last year with similar numbers, but it seems like NYU's medians keep rising, along with those of every other school. It's my top choice, but I really want to be able to consider offers from the lower T14. What's a splitter to do?

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 pm

That is good to know - I was considering EDing to Columbia but if it makes no difference then I'm definitely not going to

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Of course they're going to say it makes no difference. But the anecdotal evidence on TLS seems to indicate that in general, ED helps to varying degrees.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:22 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Of course they're going to say it makes no difference. But the anecdotal evidence on TLS seems to indicate that in general, ED helps to varying degrees.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, because intuitively, it just makes sense that that would be the case. But why would they "of course say that". What is their motivation? I don't understand why they wouldn't be straight up about it?

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 pm

gendefect wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:Of course they're going to say it makes no difference. But the anecdotal evidence on TLS seems to indicate that in general, ED helps to varying degrees.

Not that I disagree with what you're saying, because intuitively, it just makes sense that that would be the case. But why would they "of course say that". What is their motivation? I don't understand why they wouldn't be straight up about it?

I'm going off the bullshit about ED I heard from when I was applying for undergrad (I wouldn't have gotten into the undergrad I went to if I applied RD to it). I believe LSN shows people who don't quite have the numbers get in because they went ED. Just to give you an example pretty much anyone with a ~3.5 and 170 got in UVa ED without resident status, and these are people who would have had a pretty slim chance RD. I hear ED helps splitters a lot more though.

I have no idea what their motives are, they probably just want to seem politically correct or something. You almost always get zero scholarship money if you get in ED (since you HAVE TO go), so maybe they're hiding the fact that ED is a way for people with money to pay sticker to "buy" their way in with marginal numbers (and you can't get that ED boost if you have to compare potential scholarship offers). Or something. At least that's what the cynical side of me makes of it.

I'm not knocking ED, it's a great thing-it got me into my first choice college and will probably get me into my first choice law school (assuming a 17X). But I think it's just pretentious for someone to say one thing and act another way.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:31 pm

I'm curious too if anyone else has any thoughts/anecdotes about this.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”