Scary stories about law school and the legal market

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpuc

Scary stories about law school and the legal market

Postby kpuc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 am

Sorry if I'm being a Debbie Downer.

But as I'm getting closer and closer to finishing my apps for law school, I'm still greatly affected by the piles of articles about how law school is a terrible decision in the current legal market.

However, almost all of those stories seem to focus on the accumulation of debt. I won't be affected by that, however, since I have an educational trust fund that was supposed to pay for my UG, but went unused because I got a big scholarship. Therefore, I have the money to pay for law school and avoid going into debt.

So my fear of law school is that I'd be spending 3 years to be trained in a field that doesn't have a promising future. It's a question about time rather than money, for me.

If you could go to law school debt-free, is going to a Top 10 law school one of the best choices you could make, even in this economy? Because it's not as if other fields are thriving, and it's not as I have a CS or Engineering degree that could land me a job right away.

Cupidity

Re: Scary stories about law school and the legal market

Postby Cupidity » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:51 am

We all hate you. Please leave.

buster

Postby buster » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:05 am

Yes, going to a Top 10 or otherwise 'top school' is the best choice you can make if you choose to go to law school. The better schools in each legal market crowd out the lower ranked schools, so you're giving yourself a better chance of landing a job you want if you go to a top school. A much better chance. It's really a make-it-or-break-it field right now, so only go if you're sure you want to pursue law and you have the discipline to work hard at it.

It's not just a matter of wasting time; if you get a higher degree and can't land a law job, it's harder to find employment in lower skilled jobs b/c you're thought of as overqualified. So it could actually hurt you more to go to law school if you're not serious about it.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:07 am

Would BU and Fordham be considered "top schools" for their respective markets?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:15 am

icouldbuyu wrote:Would BU and Fordham be considered "top schools" for their respective markets?

You can make a compelling argument that BU is a top school in it's market, we seem to dominate (if only because Harvard grads scatter to the winds,) for Fordham, it certainly isn't a top school in it's market. It is directly outplaced by NYU, Columbia and Cornell. NYC is also one of the most desireable markets and so students have to compete with top students from around the country, ie: not many Fordham students try to find work in Boston, many BU, GWU, BC, UVA, etc... students find (and get) work in NYC.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 am

Cupidity wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:Would BU and Fordham be considered "top schools" for their respective markets?

You can make a compelling argument that BU is a top school in it's market, we seem to dominate (if only because Harvard grads scatter to the winds,) for Fordham, it certainly isn't a top school in it's market. It is directly outplaced by NYU, Columbia and Cornell. NYC is also one of the most desireable markets and so students have to compete with top students from around the country, ie: not many Fordham students try to find work in Boston, many BU, GWU, BC, UVA, etc... students find (and get) work in NYC.

So if I wanted to try to get a big law job, and I strike out at MVP and Cornell, would you suggest BU over Fordham. I live in NY, but I don't care about relocating to Boston if it gives me the opportunity to get a Big Law job.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:38 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

So if I wanted to try to get a big law job, and I strike out at MVP and Cornell, would you suggest BU over Fordham. I live in NY, but I don't care about relocating to Boston if it gives me the opportunity to get a Big Law job.

What about Gtown over Fordham or BU for NYC... just curious ..

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Georgetown students (provided you have good grades) will almost always be preferred over Fordham and BU students in NYC.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

BU seems to be doing well, I'm shocked to hear of all my friends landing biglaw jobs, but it happens

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:26 pm

JJDancer wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

What about Gtown over Fordham or BU for NYC... just curious ..

I have a 3.87 and 167 with strong softs, and from what everyone tells me an outstanding personal and diversity statements. I'm not sure how great my chances are for T14. I hope my great writing skills can give me a shot, but I wanna treat the worst case scenario (BU & Fordham) as my only choices for now just to weigh my options.

Also I got a fee waiver from Virginia; that doesnt mean anything right?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:07 pm

If you strike out at t14 you might want to retake. That's a stellar gpa.

thechee

Postby thechee » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I have a 3.87 and 167 with strong softs, and from what everyone tells me an outstanding personal and diversity statements. I'm not sure how great my chances are for T14. I hope my great writing skills can give me a shot, but I wanna treat the worst case scenario (BU & Fordham) as my only choices for now just to weigh my options.

You have a good shot at Michigan, Penn, or Virginia if you ED. If you're still in undergrad, make sure you don't drop below a 3.86.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:00 pm

thechee wrote:
icouldbuyu wrote:I have a 3.87 and 167 with strong softs, and from what everyone tells me an outstanding personal and diversity statements. I'm not sure how great my chances are for T14. I hope my great writing skills can give me a shot, but I wanna treat the worst case scenario (BU & Fordham) as my only choices for now just to weigh my options.

You have a good shot at Michigan, Penn, or Virginia if you ED. If you're still in undergrad, make sure you don't drop below a 3.86.

Im a little nervous to ED because I've never visited these schools. If I apply to duke as well as MVP regular decision, any shot that at least one of these schools will bite?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”