To ED or not to ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eeeeeek

To ED or not to ED?

Postby eeeeeek » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:54 am

Does ED make a huge difference? There's still a bit of time to send in ED contracts so now I'm wondering if I should. But then Columbia (which I'm considering EDing at) says:
While their particular enthusiasm for Columbia, manifest in their designation of Columbia as their law school of choice, is considered by our Admissions Committee, Early Decision candidates do not enjoy significant advantage in the keenly competitive selection process that annually yields Columbia’s entering class of nearly 380 students from an applicant population of approximately 8,000 candidates.

I have a 3.97 GPA (intl applicant, my school grades on a 4.3 scale) and a 172 LSAT, some softs but nothing extraordinary. Oh and I'll have spent a year and a half out of school interning, etc by the time I enroll, if that means anything. I don't think I have much of a chance at YHS so should I just ED at Columbia?
Last edited by eeeeeek on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Re: To ED or not to ED?

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:57 am

As an international applicant, your GPA doesn't count toward the law school's class numbers, so that eliminates HY right away, and S is out with weak softs. So I would go ahead and ED to Columbia.

eeeeeek

Postby eeeeeek » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 am

im_blue wrote:As an international applicant, your GPA doesn't count toward the law school's class numbers, so that eliminates HY right away, and S is out with weak softs. So I would go ahead and ED to Columbia.

Does anyone know how significant applying ED is?
If it doesn't add a big boost (as Columbia states), I'm thinking of not applying ED. Of course I'd be really happy if I were accepted at Columbia but I'd like to keep other doors open too - I'd be facing a dilemma if I got into both Columbia and Chicago (*sigh* lots of wishful thinking until next April), for example.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:10 am

It makes a difference if you're on the margins. As admissions officers from peer schools have responded, it does clearly show a lot of enthusiasm and support to go to that particular school. I think that at some schools (like UVA) it makes a tremendous difference, while at others (CLS) it can make an impact but nothing that major (equiv. to maybe bumping the GPA up .05-.1 I would guess).

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 am

If I were you, I would hold off on the ED if you even remotely like the idea of being able to compare offers and schools. I mean, first off CLS, likes international applicants (I think nearly 10% of class is int'l) & your LSAT is right at the median which is a good thing. Also, your LSAT is above the median for Chicago which puts you in a damn good place there. ED is an option,but I don't think it'll help too much at a school like CLS for someone w/ #s like you.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:36 pm

mst wrote:while at others (CLS) it can make an impact but nothing that major (equiv. to maybe bumping the GPA up .05-.1 I would guess).

This is an interesting way of putting it, and not one I've heard before. Are those #s just a guess based on your experience or that of others, or have you seen those #s given from schools or other sources specifically?

If I could get my GPA to bump by .05 - .1, I think it would make a big difference to my shot at CLS or NYU, for instance.

mst

Postby mst » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:44 pm

It's just my way of phrasing the quantity of the bump if I were to guess based off what I have seen with other applicants and what other admission officers have told me. It's not a hard number backed up by fact, just a way of making it clear that the help it offers at CLS is going to be small, and will only come into play if the rest of your application is up to par and you're on the cusp of being a clear admit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”