low scoring lsats addendum advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mehs

low scoring lsats addendum advice

Postby mehs » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:38 pm

Regarding my LSAT performance, I would like to clarify the circumstances surrounding my scores (164, 165). The day before my December 20xx administration, I came down with a fever and slept poorly that night. During the October 20xx administration, I traveled two hours to the test site, and had to deal with a strong head cold and allergies throughout the exam.
Although test circumstances are rarely ideal, after both administrations I was well aware that I had not performed to my full abilities. I considered canceling on each occasion, but hoped to apply in time for the yearly cycle in 20xx, and early in the cycle for 20xx.
I trust that this addendum assists in explaining the LSAT scores reported on my application, and believe that my GPA and additional academic honors clearly demonstrate my ability to succeed in a challenging law school environment.

Thoughts? Good/bad/neutral idea to include an addendum on LSAT performance that is less than you hoped for? I'm considering retaking this December, but want to get my apps in early at least. Shooting for lower end of T14, with a 3.9 ivy gpa.

nihilism is key

Re: low scoring lsats addendum advice

Postby nihilism is key » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:46 pm

If I were you, I would not include an addendum. Putting myself in the position of an adcomm while reading your addendum I found myself thinking the following things:

1) the fact that he got the same score (+/- 1) suggests that that is probably the best he is capable of scoring

2) what are the odds that he was ill before both administrations and, if that truly is the case, shouldn't the first administration have taught him better than to sit for the LSAT when sick

If illness is truly the cause of what you believe to be subpar performances and you think you can do better on the December exam, I would send in your apps without an addendum and indicate that you plan to sit for the exam in December.

RTFM

Re: low scoring lsats addendum advice

Postby RTFM » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:49 pm

nihilism is key wrote:If I were you, I would not include an addendum. Putting myself in the position of an adcomm while reading your addendum I found myself thinking the following things:

1) the fact that he got the same score (+/- 1) suggests that that is probably the best he is capable of scoring

2) what are the odds that he was ill before both administrations and, if that truly is the case, shouldn't the first administration have taught him better than to sit for the LSAT when sick

If illness is truly the cause of what you believe to be subpar performances and you think you can do better on the December exam, I would send in your apps without an addendum and indicate that you plan to sit for the exam in December.

Agreed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”