What should I do now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kroger03
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:46 pm

What should I do now?

Postby kroger03 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:37 pm

The October LSAT wasn't kind to me. After getting a 163 on the June LSAT, I decided to retake so I could get around the median or above the median of my target schools (William and Mary, Washington and Lee). For the Oct. LSAT I prepared by reading through all of the Powerscore Bibles and my PT average was right around a 171. Needless to say, I was shocked when I saw that I scored a 157 on the Oct. test.

My first question is: How are the schools I am applying to going to view a score lower than my original? I don't even have an excuse for my poor performance, in fact I felt much, much better after this one and was expecting around 167-170.

I was hoping to get in all of my applications done around Thanksgiving, but I have decided that I'm going to take the test again either in December or February. My softs aren't too great and my GPA is mediocre (3.6), so I don't believe that my 163 is going to get me into the schools I want to. Should I apply around Thanksgiving and notify the schools that I'm retaking in December, or should I just hold off until I find the results of that test? I really don't want to apply that late in the cycle though. Another option that I thought of this today was sending my apps off as they are now, and waiting to see if I happen to get in to some schools. If my target schools waitlist me I could retake in February to try to improve my app (hopefully) and put me a little ahead of the competition. What do you guys think?

Thanks

lornarose07
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: What should I do now?

Postby lornarose07 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:10 pm

I've read that some schools don't accept "updated LSAT scores" with applications-- as in, they process your app as is when they receive it. That being said, maybe you could apply to some of your safety schools now and hold off on the more important ones until after you retake. If nothing else, contact the admissions dept. of the schools you're hoping to get into and ask what they suggest you do.

kroger03
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: What should I do now?

Postby kroger03 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks for the response! Do you think that getting a much lower score on my retake will have any effect on how schools view me?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests