. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beachbum

Gold

Re: T3 without debt?

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:06 pm

Need more info. Is the T3 the only (or best) school in the region in which you want to practice? Are you comfortable with the possibility (or even probability) of being severely underemployed-or even unemployed-upon graduation? Have you made peace with earning ~$50,000 (best-case scenario) coming out of law school? Do you hate your parents?

Also, why no retake? This would far and away be your best option.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:11 pm

beachbum wrote: Do you hate your parents?
This-

Just because your parents are bankrolling you to go, doesn't mean you should... More than likely (read not top 1-5% of class) you will graduate to just require more of their "generosity" as you will be under/unemployed.

TLDR: Retake or get a job- Don't waste your parents money

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:16 pm

4for44 wrote:
This-

Just because your parents are bankrolling you to go, doesn't mean you should... More than likely (read not top 1-5% of class) you will graduate to just require more of their "generosity" as you will be under/unemployed.

+1. I think it's easy to say that you're comfortable with the possibility (probability) of being under/unemployed until you're actually in that hopeless job search, or making $10/hour doing doc review. If you can't find the time to retake in December, then suck it up and plan for June. The path of least resistance is never a good policy for making life decisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:37 pm

4for44 wrote:
This-

:? That was a mess.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:42 pm

Are you comfortable with possibly not even being employed as a lawyer post-graduation?

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Good Luck. Your gonna need it.

tas817

New

Post by tas817 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:09 pm

I don't understand TLS sometimes. I know so many people that go to schools that people on this forum think should be shut down and get good jobs. The biggest problem is that many people on this website believe that graduating law school entitles you to a BMW and $500,000 house. Starting at $50,000 is going to be fine in many markets as long you manage you finances. After a few years on the job market your school wont matter much anymore. Now don't get me wrong going to a top school is a huge advantage but there are countless people who go to Tier 3/4 schools that do fine. I say go to the tier 3 especially if they give some $. But try for higher ranking you never know what will happen. Good Luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jasonc.

Bronze

Post by jasonc. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:26 pm

tas817 wrote:I don't understand TLS sometimes. I know so many people that go to schools that people on this forum think should be shut down and get good jobs. The biggest problem is that many people on this website believe that graduating law school entitles you to a BMW and $500,000 house. Starting at $50,000 is going to be fine in many markets as long you manage you finances. After a few years on the job market your school wont matter much anymore. Now don't get me wrong going to a top school is a huge advantage but there are countless people who go to Tier 3/4 schools that do fine. I say go to the tier 3 especially if they give some $. But try for higher ranking you never know what will happen. Good Luck
yup!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:30 pm

tas817 wrote:I don't understand TLS sometimes. I know so many people that go to schools that people on this forum think should be shut down and get good jobs. The biggest problem is that many people on this website believe that graduating law school entitles you to a BMW and $500,000 house. Starting at $50,000 is going to be fine in many markets as long you manage you finances. After a few years on the job market your school wont matter much anymore. Now don't get me wrong going to a top school is a huge advantage but there are countless people who go to Tier 3/4 schools that do fine. I say go to the tier 3 especially if they give some $. But try for higher ranking you never know what will happen. Good Luck
This is hyperbole and bad advice. An otherwise solid $50,000 starting salary (again, best case scenario) begins to lose its luster when you have $100,000+ in loans and are forever shut out of the jobs which would allow you to efficiently pay off those loans. I realize OP is in the enviable position of riding on his parents' dime, but a TTT still presents a very poor return on that investment. Moreover, you run the (sizable) risk of never practicing in the legal field-or at least of never doing meaningful work in the legal field-which seems to be the reason for going to law school in the first place. For more on this, just look at the employment statistics (lawschooltransparency is a good start).

The legal job market is tough. And it gets exponentially worse as you move down the rankings. OP has a very respectable GPA and a bad LSAT score. The relatively small amount of time it would take to study and achieve a good score is nothing compared to the superior long-term career prospects of better schools.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:32 pm

I'm not even part of the "T10 or /self" crowd on TLS, but why on earth would you commit to an academic course of study that has such a significant chance of total failure and financial ruin? I just don't understand how this is remotely rational.

jasonc.

Bronze

Post by jasonc. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:39 pm

If you want to it go for it. The market is bad period.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:43 pm

jasonc. wrote:If you want to it go for it. The market is bad period.
/facepalm

jasonc.

Bronze

Post by jasonc. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:50 pm

/facepalm[/quote]

A c scenario : You end up at T-14 and your not at the top of the class v. a guy whose parents flip the bill? Whose in the better situation?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:00 am

jasonc. wrote:A c scenario : You end up at T-14 and your not at the top of the class v. a guy whose parents flip the bill? Whose in the better situation?
Another scenario: You're above median at a T14 v. a guy whose parents foot the bill and who isn't in the top 5% at his TTT.

I'll give you a hint: one of the two is going to be a lawyer.

jasonc.

Bronze

Post by jasonc. » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 am

I'll give you a hint: one of the two is going to be a lawyer.[/quote]

I disagree. Im sure both can pass the bar.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 am

jasonc. wrote:I disagree. Im sure both can pass the bar.
passing the bar =/= being a lawyer. HTH.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:20 am

Technically, passing the bar does = being a lawyer.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Technically, passing the bar does = being a lawyer.
But it does not guarantee legal employment.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 am

rad law wrote:
Technically, as soon as you pass the bar, you are "employed" as a lawyer. In some states you don't even need an honest to goodness office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:58 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:Good Luck. Your gonna need it.

So will you.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:10 am

tas817 wrote:I don't understand TLS sometimes. I know so many people that go to schools that people on this forum think should be shut down and get good jobs. The biggest problem is that many people on this website believe that graduating law school entitles you to a BMW and $500,000 house.
You are absolutely wrong. I believe that I will be entitled to an Aston Martin at least since I already have a BMW. The biggest problem is that some people would settle for a BMW.

OP: going to law school in your situation is a very bad investment. Now you can say it's your parents money not yours but regardless it's just that, a bad investment. If you're O.K. with that and really want to go to law school that bad, go ahead with it. At least you're not burning your own money.
Last edited by Hattori Hanzo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:11 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
rad law wrote:
Technically, as soon as you pass the bar, you are "employed" as a lawyer. In some states you don't even need an honest to goodness office.
Seriously?? Clearly the point is that you can graduate from law school, pass the bar, and still not be able to find a salaried position in the profession you just spent 3 years and $150K+ on. This is true whether you graduate from a T1 or a TTT. And while there are many successful lawyers out there who graduated from TTTs, it is a WHOLE LOT harder.

GettingReady2010

Bronze

Post by GettingReady2010 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:17 am

I think a lot of the people in this thread are overlooking the fact that in many cases, there is no difference between T3s and schools ranked 30+. If OP said he had the opportunity to go to one of the schools in the latter group for free, would the responses in this thread be any different? Just a thought.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”