Letter of Recommendation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Guthrie32

New

Letter of Recommendation

Post by Guthrie32 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm

This is a two part question. First is it generally acceptable to go over the requested number of letters of recommendation? Second, is it is a good idea to have a current law student from a school I am applying to write a letter of recommendation? We have known each other for 18 years and he knows my work ethic and academic potential very well. Thanks.

txadv11

Silver

Re: Letter of Recommendation

Post by txadv11 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Most applications (or the website) list the minimum, recommended, and maximum number. I wouldn't go over the recommended/max. If not, call the school and ask.

I would NOT have a current law student write a letter for me. I have heard only use a boss, professor, advisor (careful), or occasionally a TA .
"each other for 18 years and he knows my work ethic and academic potential very well."
I just don't think this can be expressed without a professor-student or boss-employee relationship. Some may disagree with me.

NJPharmD2011

New

Post by NJPharmD2011 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:52 pm

How many over are you planning? The one school I am applying to asks for 1 and I am sending 2. If they only request 1 or 2, I wouldn't go over 3 or 4 respectively.

As for having your friend write a letter, I would say as long as you have 2 solid letters from a former employer and professor than it's not a horrible idea. However, it would be better if he were in some sort of supervisory position and I honestly don't think the letter will help much. Sorry!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:03 pm

txadv11 wrote:Most applications (or the website) list the minimum, recommended, and maximum number. I wouldn't go over the recommended/max. If not, call the school and ask.

I would NOT have a current law student write a letter for me. I have heard only use a boss, professor, advisor (careful), or occasionally a TA .
"each other for 18 years and he knows my work ethic and academic potential very well."
I just don't think this can be expressed without a professor-student or boss-employee relationship. Some may disagree with me.
1. Totally agree with this. I don't care how much age difference, LORs are about the higher-lower relationship (i.e. the person of higher stature recognizing your abilities).

2. Do not go over what law schools want. If they say two, give them two. If the PS is meant to be 500 words, don't even give them 501. If you can't respect their application guidelines, why would they expect you to follow the law?

Guthrie32

New

Post by Guthrie32 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks for the input. The school asks for 2-4 and this would be the fourth. Not necessarily over the limit, but at the high end of it. I feel like the 3 I have are very solid and didn't know if there may be a little inside advantage to having a current student of that school write about me. It would only be for that school, but I do see the point you make about the position of power.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MPeterson

Bronze

Post by MPeterson » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:18 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Most applications (or the website) list the minimum, recommended, and maximum number. I wouldn't go over the recommended/max. If not, call the school and ask.

1. Totally agree with this. I don't care how much age difference, LORs are about the higher-lower relationship (i.e. the person of higher stature recognizing your abilities).

2. Do not go over what law schools want. If they say two, give them two. If the PS is meant to be 500 words, don't even give them 501. If you can't respect their application guidelines, why would they expect you to follow the law?
In response to 2., I don't know whether you meant the "recommended" or "max" amount you don't want to go over, but I heard from an adcomm that it's sometimes acceptable to send over the "required" or "recommended" amount if you have something that would add to your application.

If you have two good LORs from professors, I don't think it would be bad to add another from your friend who's a student. I don't see how it could hurt.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:25 pm

MPeterson wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

If you have two good LORs from professors, I don't think it would be bad to add another from your friend who's a student. I don't see how it could hurt.
At the same time, do you think it would help?

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 pm

Well, there's a difference between required & recommended, though they're the same for a lot of schools.

Most schools require 2 academic letters and recommend 2, but for those I sent a third to talk about extracurricular stuff. Since I'm coming out of undergrad I can't substitute one for an academic one.

Basically, make sure you follow all the directions for what is explicitly required and then use your good judgment for how many more to send. It's unlikely that you need more than one more beyond that, and you can always save another one for waitlists. :)

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:31 pm

dulcatis wrote:Well, there's a difference between required & recommended, though they're the same for a lot of schools.

Most schools require 2 academic letters and recommend 2, but for those I sent a third to talk about extracurricular stuff. Since I'm coming out of undergrad I can't substitute one for an academic one.

Basically, make sure you follow all the directions for what is explicitly required and then use your good judgment for how many more to send. It's unlikely that you need more than one more beyond that, and you can always save another one for waitlists. :)
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”