Third LOR Required?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TUP

Third LOR Required?

Postby TUP » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:03 pm

I'm trying to figure out if I need a third LOR. I have two LORs from professors, but I've been out of undergrad just over 4 years now. One should be solid, but I don't have a good feel for the other.

I didn't want to obtain a work LOR without an LSAT score, but now that I have one I'm wondering if I should ask my current boss. It's a corporate, career-track job, so it would probably be a surprise to him, which makes me hesitant.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how having no work-related LOR after 4+ years of corporate work experience would look. My PS will be about my work experience, and maybe that compensates somewhat.

Finally, I don't want to delay my apps much longer, which would be necessary if I wait for this additional LOR. Any advice? Thanks!

TUP

Re: Third LOR Required?

Postby TUP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:30 am

Any opinions on this? I realize the general consensus is that LORs don't carry much weight in the process, but what about in this specific situation?

Philipsssssss

Postby Philipsssssss » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:12 am

I would write an Addendum explaining why you chose not to ask for a work LOR.

It makes sense - what if you don't get to the school you want + will be viewed as the guy who was willing to leave work...

I would write an explanation if you feel that your situation requires an explanation.

That’s my opinion on the matter.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:46 pm

Do NOT write an addendum about why you don't have a work LOR.

That is not what addenda are for and it just looks silly/calls attention to a nonissue.

You don't need a work LOR, adcoms understand that some people in real "Career" jobs might not tell their bosses about LS until they are in/sure they are leaving.

(as you noted) LORs are not that important anyways.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:02 pm

I've read several times that if you've been out in the workplace for several years, not including a work LOR can look sketchy. As in, you've been working for 4 years but can't get a recommendation? That said, it's great that you've been able to get academic LORs, and I think those are more important, but from what I've heard, the school may take a small pause considering that you've been out of school for a while and don't have something from a professional source.

TUP

Postby TUP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:03 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:I've read several times that if you've been out in the workplace for several years, not including a work LOR can look sketchy. As in, you've been working for 4 years but can't get a recommendation? That said, it's great that you've been able to get academic LORs, and I think those are more important, but from what I've heard, the school may take a small pause considering that you've been out of school for a while and don't have something from a professional source.

This is what I'm concerned about. I'd like to think that if they see a finance, accounting, marketing, etc. corporate job on a resume they'd realize this, but I obviously don't want to leave any gaps in my application.

And what about the delay on apps? If I ask for it this week and it's sent ASAP, that processing time will push me back at least a week or two I would think.

Anyone else out there in this type of a situation?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Look at the application instructions or website of the schools you are applying to and see what they say. Many schools say something along the lines of "We prefer academic letters of recommendation, but if you have been out of work for several years, you can subsitute a letter from an employer." This implies that it is fine to do two academic letters. You are applying to an academic program, so they want letters that can attest to your academic ability.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:58 pm

TUP wrote:
This is what I'm concerned about. I'd like to think that if they see a finance, accounting, marketing, etc. corporate job on a resume they'd realize this, but I obviously don't want to leave any gaps in my application.

And what about the delay on apps? If I ask for it this week and it's sent ASAP, that processing time will push me back at least a week or two I would think.

Anyone else out there in this type of a situation?

"If you apply to law school after post-college employment, submit at least one, perhaps exactly one, letter of recommendation from your post-college employers."
http://www.prelawhandbook.com/letters_o ... mendations

"Likewise, if you have been out of school for several years, ask an employer who knows you and your work well."
http://www.top-law-schools.com/letters- ... ation.html

"Anyone who has been working full-time for two or more years should try to get an employment reference."
http://www.deloggio.com/essays%20&%20addenda/recs.html

However- academic letters are the most important, which is why I think you'll be fine. That's the consensus here, and another advisor- Anna Ivey- agrees with that.

If you decide to get the letter, have the recommender fax it in ASAP. Usually faxed LORs process in a couple days.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:05 pm

1) DO NOT WRITE AN ADDENDUM FOR THAT.

2) Diff schools have diff preferences, but if I were in your shoes, I would just stick with the 2 academic LOR. Several schools state that they prefer academic and you have 2 academic so just leave it at that.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:18 pm

acrossthelake wrote:1) DO NOT WRITE AN ADDENDUM FOR THAT.

2) Diff schools have diff preferences, but if I were in your shoes, I would just stick with the 2 academic LOR. Several schools state that they prefer academic and you have 2 academic so just leave it at that.

This. You'll really be fine with 2 academic. (Most people have the opposite problem as you in this situation- not being able to find an academic source. Schools are more likely to understand why reasons why it'd be inconvenient to ask from a current boss, etc.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:05 pm

You'll be fine. Academic LORs > employer LORs anyway.

TUP

Postby TUP » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks for all the reassurance. I think I'll go with the 2 I have. If I get an early acceptance, maybe I'll get the work LOR for use with any waitlists.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”