Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Philipsssssss
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

Postby Philipsssssss » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Please advise.

I'm almost 26

I am looking into T15-20 Law Schools and nothing less.

Particularly Georgetown, Northwestern, NYU (Tax program or similar)

Education:

I got 164 LSAT October (I didn't do well on RC) *** Im very busy at work and have 3 graduate classes, i doubt it i can do it in December.

3.60 UG LSDAC GPA (University GPA at graduation 3.89, Magna Cum Laude) - Double Major Economics and Business

I studied 2 years pre-engineering in a junior College which brought my GPA down a little.

Master's in Accounting - May 2011 Graduation (3.90 currently most updated position)

Soft Factors:

Past 2 years working full time in Government Finance/Regulation (Drafting Testimonies for Administrative court for Utilities cases)

Various volunteering positions in the past and present

Many honors and Dean's lists

3 very positive LOR's (2 from UG professors and 1 from UG/Grad professor)

I speak 3 languages, born overseas, lived in a couple of countries.


Thank you.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

Postby stratocophic » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Philipsssssss wrote:Please advise.

I am looking into T15-20 Law Schools and nothing less.

Particularly Georgetown, Northwestern, NYU (Tax program or similar)

Education:

I got 164 LSAT October (I didn't do well on RC)

3.60 UG LSDAC GPA (University GPA at graduation 3.89, Magna Cum Laude) - Double Major Economics and Business

I studied 2 years pre-engineering in a junior College which brought my GPA down a little.

Master's in Accounting - May 2011 Graduation (3.90 currently most updated position)

Soft Factors:

Past 2 years working full time in Government Finance/Regulation (Drafting Testimonies for Administrative court for Utilities cases)

Various volunteering positions in the past and present

Many honors and Dean's lists

3 very positive LOR's (2 from UG professors and 1 from UG/Grad professor)

I speak 3 languages, born overseas, lived in a couple of countries.


Thank you.
Not happening unless you're an URM. Your GPA is too low for most of the T25-30s to consider you, and I don't think any of the T20s would take a second glance when both of your numbers are below their medians. I'd give you maybe a max 5% chance of getting into a T20, probably even less. Hit a 167 and you're pretty much guaranteed to get into WUSTL and below. You'd need ~170 for any T14, maybe higher since you'd be applying late in the cycle with a December retake. Best of luck.

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

Postby SilverE2 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Philipsssssss wrote:Please advise.

I'm almost 26

I am looking into T15-20 Law Schools and nothing less.

Particularly Georgetown, Northwestern, NYU (Tax program or similar)

Education:

I got 164 LSAT October (I didn't do well on RC) *** Im very busy at work and have 3 graduate classes, i doubt it i can do it in December.

3.60 UG LSDAC GPA (University GPA at graduation 3.89, Magna Cum Laude) - Double Major Economics and Business

I studied 2 years pre-engineering in a junior College which brought my GPA down a little.

Master's in Accounting - May 2011 Graduation (3.90 currently most updated position)

Soft Factors:

Past 2 years working full time in Government Finance/Regulation (Drafting Testimonies for Administrative court for Utilities cases)

Various volunteering positions in the past and present

Many honors and Dean's lists

3 very positive LOR's (2 from UG professors and 1 from UG/Grad professor)

I speak 3 languages, born overseas, lived in a couple of countries.


Thank you.


You'll need to raise your lsat at least 2 points, preferably 3 points, to have a shot in the t20.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:18 pm

Philipsssssss wrote:I am looking into T15-20 Law Schools and nothing less.


Your LSAT is too low for anything in the T20. You're probably out at most T30s as well.

Also, it's probably best to not get caught up in your résumé/background. I don't see anything there that would make up for your low LSAT, with respect to T20.

User avatar
AverageTutoring
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

Postby AverageTutoring » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:34 pm

I hate to concur with the above posters, but your LSAT needs to be raised. If you can increase it to a 170 you will have a great shot at the T20, many with money and a considerable chance at the lower T14. With a 164 though it would be a rough ride.

Definately re-take!

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:42 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Philipsssssss wrote:Please advise.

I am looking into T15-20 Law Schools and nothing less.

Particularly Georgetown, Northwestern, NYU (Tax program or similar)

Education:

I got 164 LSAT October (I didn't do well on RC)

3.60 UG LSDAC GPA (University GPA at graduation 3.89, Magna Cum Laude) - Double Major Economics and Business

I studied 2 years pre-engineering in a junior College which brought my GPA down a little.

Master's in Accounting - May 2011 Graduation (3.90 currently most updated position)

Soft Factors:

Past 2 years working full time in Government Finance/Regulation (Drafting Testimonies for Administrative court for Utilities cases)

Various volunteering positions in the past and present

Many honors and Dean's lists

3 very positive LOR's (2 from UG professors and 1 from UG/Grad professor)

I speak 3 languages, born overseas, lived in a couple of countries.


Thank you.
Not happening unless you're an URM. Your GPA is too low for most of the T25-30s to consider you, and I don't think any of the T20s would take a second glance when both of your numbers are below their medians. I'd give you maybe a max 5% chance of getting into a T20, probably even less. Hit a 167 and you're pretty much guaranteed to get into WUSTL and below. You'd need ~170 for any T14, maybe higher since you'd be applying late in the cycle with a December retake. Best of luck.

++
Except with a 168-169 his chances at Berkeley, Cornell or possibly Michigan would be decent, just unpredictable because of the lateness.

User avatar
Philipsssssss
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm

Re: Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

Postby Philipsssssss » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:51 pm

^ Appreciate the honesty.

Problem is, even if I would register to retake in December, I am so busy that I doubt it I have the time to really prep well, although I guess after taking 40+ tests, I know that most of the time its the RC that kills me -10 usually.

And then there is the possibility I will score lower and.... then I’m doomed ...

SO I don't know.

I thought that at least if I was looking into the Tax Law field, having a Master's in Accounting + a CPA/Professor strong LOR could give me a more favorable read from the Adcom.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Please: Top 15 ? 3.60 UG LSDAC, 164 LSAT, Master's May 2011

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:52 pm

Philipsssssss wrote:^ Appreciate the honesty.

Problem is, even if I would register to retake in December, I am so busy that I doubt it I have the time to really prep well, although I guess after taking 40+ tests, I know that most of the time its the RC that kills me -10 usually.

And then there is the possibility I will score lower and.... then I’m doomed ...

SO I don't know.

I thought that at least if I was looking into the Tax Law field, having a Master's in Accounting + a CPA/Professor strong LOR could give me a more favorable read from the Adcom.

Sadly no. Retake is your only option unless you want to aim lower.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests