internships on resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ac789

internships on resume

Postby ac789 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:58 pm

should an unpaid internship be placed under employment history?
also a somewhat off topic question....
does having a law-related internship increase your chances in the application process or have no effect?

cubswin

Re: internships on resume

Postby cubswin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:13 pm

ac789 wrote:should an unpaid internship be placed under employment history?
also a somewhat off topic question....
does having a law-related internship increase your chances in the application process or have no effect?

It probably isn't going to be a major factor, but I wouldn't say it has no effect. It can contribute to the idea that you are a serious applicant instead of just some guy who who decided to apply to law school, but it's hard to imagine the person reviewing your application thinking "You know, I was going to reject this guy. He's slightly beneath our LSAT and GPA medians. But then I saw this internship, and wow!"

Employment history seems like it would be the place for it. I don't think you even need to make explicit the fact that it was unpaid. If asked, you can tell them. But you should probably just briefly talk about the stuff you worked on there, whether you acquired any skills, etc.
Last edited by cubswin on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ac789

Postby ac789 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:24 pm

helpful advice. thank you

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:35 pm

I just graduated with three years of sports law internships during college. It dealt mostly with NFL/NBA players contractual issues thru IMG. In the end I was told not to get my hopes up about it being a great soft.. If that's any indication

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:36 pm

Um, I sort of assumed that this should go on a resume... for those who are still in UG or not far out of college, what would they put? I'm putting my full-time 9 to 5 job that I've held for the last two years, but I was also going to include internships, otherwise there would only be one item on my resume. Am I off-base?

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:11 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:Um, I sort of assumed that this should go on a resume... for those who are still in UG or not far out of college, what would they put? I'm putting my full-time 9 to 5 job that I've held for the last two years, but I was also going to include internships, otherwise there would only be one item on my resume. Am I off-base?

No. And I don't think anything in this thread suggests that you are off base.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”