Include petty employment on resume?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sudoku

Include petty employment on resume?

Postby sudoku » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:28 pm

How detailed must the resume be? After I graduated college, my first few jobs were temporary and not in the professional sphere. Is it necessary to include these on the resume, or only my most recent, professional positions? I don't want to waste valuable resume real estate, but I don't want to omit petty employment if disclosing all employment is recommended. Thanks!

r6_philly

Re: Include petty employment on resume?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:53 pm

sudoku wrote:How detailed must the resume be? After I graduated college, my first few jobs were temporary and not in the professional sphere. Is it necessary to include these on the resume, or only my most recent, professional positions? I don't want to waste valuable resume real estate, but I don't want to omit petty employment if disclosing all employment is recommended. Thanks!

You are correct. Only include non-professional employment during school year. Although, if you have a huge gap after graduation you may then want to include them - as long as you eventually got a professional position it will look fine. It is tough for many to land a suitable job ITE.

Re: Include petty employment on resume?

Postby 20160810 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:09 pm

When I was applying, I had had essentially 3 jobs: 2 years as a teacher (obviously on resume), 2 years as a paid columnist for a student newspaper (on resume), and 2 years as a waiter at a malt shop, which latter I probably could have omitted. Still, I listed it, figuring that it only took a line and it would show employers I can hold jobs. Weirdly, a lot of my questions in OCI interviews with firms tended to be about the malt shop, so you never know what will stick out to people. Still, I would pick and list (at most) 1 crappy job, ideally the one you held the longest with the manager who will give you the best reference.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”