Cornell early action

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JerrySeinfeld

Cornell early action

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:48 pm

I've looked but I haven't found anything specifically referring to early action and the dates with personal statements and diversity statements.

I have the entire application finished except my DS and PS. I have all my LOR and such. I know the deadlines are November 1st to submit the application and fee and then the 15th for everything else.

Does everything else include my DS and PS?

r6_philly

Re: Cornell early action

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:50 pm

PS is a part of your application. They mean your application with all supporting document has to be submitted 11/1, and your LOR and LSDAS report has to be received from LSAC by 11/15. DS is not required so that doesn't count.

JerrySeinfeld

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:PS is a part of your application. They mean your application with all supporting document has to be submitted 11/1, and your LOR and LSDAS report has to be received from LSAC by 11/15. DS is not required so that doesn't count.

So if my PS won't be ready by the 1st, I cannot do EA?

per200ml

Postby per200ml » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:54 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:
r6_philly wrote:PS is a part of your application. They mean your application with all supporting document has to be submitted 11/1, and your LOR and LSDAS report has to be received from LSAC by 11/15. DS is not required so that doesn't count.

I'm pretty sure you need the PS to "submit" your application...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but by Nov 1, do they mean 11:59PM Nov 1?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:DS is not required so that doesn't count.

Just for clarity I'll add that it "doesn't count" in the sense that it's not required to have a complete application, but if you want them to consider one you'd better submit it with everything else. The place to submit your DS is as an attachment to your application, if you want to submit one.

Yes, you can try to add one on later and hope they'll add it to your already-submitted application, but submitting it with your app is the right way to do it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:55 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:So if my PS won't be ready by the 1st, I cannot do EA?

Correct, your application must have all required materials attached, including a PS, when you submit it. If you want to include a DS it should also have a DS attached at that time.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Doesn't look like it. PS is always a part of the checklist, I can't picture anyone actually submitting an app without attaching the PS. Since once you submit your app, you can't add anything to it, you would have to submit your PS directly to the school. I just can't picture you emailing them, "Sorry but I forgot to attach my PS in my application so here it is ..."

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:57 pm

per200ml wrote:
JerrySeinfeld wrote:

I'm pretty sure you need the PS to "submit" your application...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but by Nov 1, do they mean 11:59PM Nov 1?

No you can submit an application without any attachment. I don't know why anyone would do it, but attachments are not required to go through the checkout process.

ETA: I take "by Nov 1" to mean "before Nov 1", your interpretation should be "no later than Nov. 1".

per200ml

Postby per200ml » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:ETA: I take "by Nov 1" to mean "before Nov 1", your interpretation should be "no later than Nov. 1".

So Cornell requires the application before 11:59 PM Nov. 1 is what you're saying...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:03 pm

per200ml wrote:
r6_philly wrote:ETA: I take "by Nov 1" to mean "before Nov 1", your interpretation should be "no later than Nov. 1".

So Cornell requires the application before 11:59 PM Nov. 1 is what you're saying...

I take it to mean the latest time to submit is 11:59:59 PM Oct. 31. because the submission should have already happened before Nov 1 (before the start of Nov 1, not before the end of Nov 1)

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:24 pm

I imagine that you can submit on Nov. 1.
LSAT scores were supposed to come out on that day, and regardless of whether they usually come out 3 days early, I don't think they would make a deadline that is designed to allow for October LSAT takers which could conceivably come and require them to submit without seeing their scores.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:51 pm

I've always taken "by Nov 1" to mean "on or before Nov 1". If they meant "before" they would've said "before".

Edit: The Cornell website (http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/admissions/FAQ/admission_and_preparation.cfm) refers to submitting the app "by November 1" and your file being complete "by November 15", and then later says your file doesn't have to be complete (as in, with LORs/score) "until November 15" and that if your file goes complete "after November 15" it'll be deferred.

So "by" seems inclusive; "by November 15" is inclusive of the 15th, so "by November 1" should include the 1st itself.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I've always taken "by Nov 1" to mean "on or before Nov 1". If they meant "before" they would've said "before".

I don't think we have ever used "by" a date in the contracts, so can you elaborate on the legal definition of this? I have used by midnight date xx, but then it clearly means "before" in that context. So I always though "by" means "before" or "should be done prior to".

If you say "have your homework done by the next class" it NEVER includes the class, so I don't think "by" is inclusive.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:I don't think we have ever used "by" a date in the contracts, so can you elaborate on the legal definition of this? I have used by midnight date xx, but then it clearly means "before" in that context. So I always though "by" means "before" or "should be done prior to".

If you say "have your homework done by the next class" it NEVER includes the class, so I don't think "by" is inclusive.

Well, I'm not really talking about a set legal definition, but let's look at those two examples.

To say "by the next class" has an implied additional fixing point; most people understand this to mean "by the start of next class". And you can work on it all the way up to that point and turn it in then. If someone tells me "this has to be done by Friday" without any discussion of time, I'd assume they meant by the end of the day Friday to work on it; it's inclusive of Friday.

Here there's no logical fixed point. If you say "by 11:59PM on Nov. 1" you have the whole day. If you say "by 12:00AM on Nov. 1" you don't have any of that day. If your professor says "This must be done by Nov. 1" you'd assume you have until the start of class on Nov. 1. But if you're talking about the entire day and no fixed point in it at all, I'd always take that to mean you have tha day to get it done by and turn it in by.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:09 pm

Just call them and ask.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:11 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Just call them and ask.

Haha, credited.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Haha, credited.

They are not open on Sunday. By the time they open, one of the 2 probabilities would have already elapsed.

So this can't be the credited response.

per200ml

Postby per200ml » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Haha, credited.

Calling tomorrow (Nov 1) might be too late for the deadline haha... Better to just submit tonight

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Haha, credited.

They are not open on Sunday. By the time they open, one of the 2 probabilities would have already elapsed.

So this can't be the credited response.

D'oh, good point. Too bad nobody asked this on Friday.

I still think submitting tomorrow would be fine, for all the reasons mentioned above.

per200ml

Postby per200ml » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Yea, for the record, I've always taken "By X" to mean up to the last minute of "X"

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I don't think we have ever used "by" a date in the contracts, so can you elaborate on the legal definition of this? I have used by midnight date xx, but then it clearly means "before" in that context. So I always though "by" means "before" or "should be done prior to".

Well, I'm not really talking about a set legal definition, but let's look at those two examples.

To say "by the next class" has an implied additional fixing point; most people understand this to mean "by the start of next class". And you can work on it all the way up to that point and turn it in then. If someone tells me "this has to be done by Friday" without any discussion of time, I'd assume they meant by the end of the day Friday to work on it; it's inclusive of Friday.

Here there's no logical fixed point. If you say "by 11:59PM on Nov. 1" you have the whole day. If you say "by 12:00AM on Nov. 1" you don't have any of that day. If your professor says "This must be done by Nov. 1" you'd assume you have until the start of class on Nov. 1. But if you're talking about the entire day and no fixed point in it at all, I'd always take that to mean you have tha day to get it done by and turn it in by.

Well if we are using date as units, then you can't break the day down to minutes and set any point using units other than a day. So if the instruction use date as the smallest units, then the only break point between units will be between 11:59:59PM and 12:00:00AM, but the measurement would progress from Oct 31 to Nov 1 to Nov 2. So if using "by Nov 1" and using only date as units, it has to be before Oct 31 progress into Nov 1 - because Nov is a whole, smallest unit and cant be broken. If you choose to include Nov 1, then the break point has to be set before Nov 2.

Sorry, remember I am a Computer Science major, and all we do is count whole/discrete numbers. I guarantee if the system is automated (which I know is probably not) and the instruction is "by Nov 1", the system will stop at 11:59:59PM Oct 31.

As a matter of fact, in CS/Math, inclusive or not is a huge issue, if you are ambiguous about it, it could cause huge problems.

kiniru

Postby kiniru » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:19 pm

Sorry if this is too off-topic but if I submit my application now and my 2nd LOR is on its way/being processed, does that still mean my application will be complete by Nov 15? (if it helps the LOR was sent 10/25 and it took a week for the 1st one to be received/processed, assuming similar time frame mean it'll be processed/done by 11/1). I've assigned both to my application already.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:19 pm

per200ml wrote:Yea, for the record, I've always taken "By X" to mean up to the last minute of "X"

See previous, I take x to be a whole unit that can't be broken down into smaller units.

I also see why people feel wronged by computer/server time stamps, apparently programmers don't treat these issues the same way :lol:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:21 pm

kiniru wrote:Sorry if this is too off-topic but if I submit my application now and my 2nd LOR is on its way/being processed, does that still mean my application will be complete by Nov 15? (if it helps the LOR was sent 10/25 and it took a week for the 1st one to be received/processed, assuming similar time frame mean it'll be processed/done by 11/1). I've assigned both to my application already.

I think if your LSDAS report and the LOR can be issued and sent to the school by 11/15 you will be fine. If not don't they just consider your file complete with one LOR? I can't remember if Cornell does that or will wait for the other LOR.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:31 pm

how long does it usually take them to decide EA? I'd love an acceptance while I wait for them to sort out my test center crud

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”