Can I get out of an ED application before it's finalized?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ArghItsBlarg

Can I get out of an ED application before it's finalized?

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:00 pm

I applied ED to one school back at the beginning of the month, and my application has been awaiting my LSAT score and credentials. Now that October scores have come out (and I am very pleased with my results), I'm realizing that applying ED may have been a serious mistake. My score is more than sufficient to get into every school to which I'm applying, so the question is now all about money. If I'm accepted to my ED school, I have to go there, no matter what financial offer they make. Obviously it's going to be difficult to play scholarships against each other this way.

Given that my application is still technically incomplete, I'm toying with the idea of asking to withdraw from the ED aspect of my application. I'll likely take the opportunity to apply to a few other schools for more scholarship leverage and just because I can, but mostly I just want the best opportunity to obtain money from my first choice school. I applied ED in the first place because 1) It is my first choice school, and 2) I was told in my admissions tour that they do indeed "take care" of their ED applicants financially. I guess I still have paranoia built up from waiting for LSAT scores, as I'm not so trusting of that promise.

Do you think it's possible to withdraw from ED and not completely sour my relationship with the school? Especially for such a mercenary (but realistic) reason? I'd assume that I'd have to give some sort of reason. Given that it's a binding contract, I'm doubtful that I could withdraw it without really screwing myself, but if anyone would know, it'd be you folks here.

vsl89

Re: Can I get out of an ED application before it's finalized?

Postby vsl89 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:10 pm

I don't think you'd be screwing yourself if you briefly mentioned in an email that new and unexpected financial considerations have come into play that make you unsure if you could commit at sticker price.

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:55 am

I called and anonymously asked the admissions office if I could withdraw from ED without any penalty to my application, citing financial concerns. I was told that they in no way wanted anyone to feel forced to attend their school and that all I would need to do is send them written notice, including as much information as I felt comfortable sharing. It should not be a black mark on my application. I sent them about a paragraph's worth of rationale cataloguing the (all true) changes in my financial situation, my request to downgrade from ED, and a reiteration of my desire to attend the school. Perhaps two days later I was emailed an acknowledgment that I was now a RD.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:19 am

ArghItsBlarg wrote:I applied ED to one school back at the beginning of the month, and my application has been awaiting my LSAT score and credentials. Now that October scores have come out (and I am very pleased with my results), I'm realizing that applying ED may have been a serious mistake. My score is more than sufficient to get into every school to which I'm applying, so the question is now all about money. If I'm accepted to my ED school, I have to go there, no matter what financial offer they make. Obviously it's going to be difficult to play scholarships against each other this way.

Given that my application is still technically incomplete, I'm toying with the idea of asking to withdraw from the ED aspect of my application. I'll likely take the opportunity to apply to a few other schools for more scholarship leverage and just because I can, but mostly I just want the best opportunity to obtain money from my first choice school. I applied ED in the first place because 1) It is my first choice school, and 2) I was told in my admissions tour that they do indeed "take care" of their ED applicants financially. I guess I still have paranoia built up from waiting for LSAT scores, as I'm not so trusting of that promise.

Do you think it's possible to withdraw from ED and not completely sour my relationship with the school? Especially for such a mercenary (but realistic) reason? I'd assume that I'd have to give some sort of reason. Given that it's a binding contract, I'm doubtful that I could withdraw it without really screwing myself, but if anyone would know, it'd be you folks here.

Whoever told you they "take care" of their ED applicants financially lied.

It's obviously not a plus to switch from ED to RD, but it's better than your alternative. Just put a spin on it (i.e. say you are switching because you're unsure how your financial situation will be)

Postby 2014 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:03 am

I think you did it about right. It is still possible that your application will suffer but they would never admit it. Hopefully it works out for you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”