Apply now and use LSAT to get off W/L

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gendefect

Apply now and use LSAT to get off W/L

Postby gendefect » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:06 pm

Is the following strategy even possible?

I took the Oct LSAT and would like to send in my apps more or less immediately. I'm guessing that with my #s, I'm going to be waitlisted at least at some of my preferred schools. Is it possible to apply now, have the schools look at my application now, while registering for and taking the Dec. LSAT, and then, assuming my LSAT goes up some, using my Dec. LSAT score to get off the waitlist once I get waitlisted?

If that doesn't work, would it work if I took the Feb LSAT instead?

Sandro

Re: Apply now and use LSAT to get off W/L

Postby Sandro » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:39 pm

gendefect wrote:Is the following strategy even possible?

I took the Oct LSAT and would like to send in my apps more or less immediately. I'm guessing that with my #s, I'm going to be waitlisted at least at some of my preferred schools. Is it possible to apply now, have the schools look at my application now, while registering for and taking the Dec. LSAT, and then, assuming my LSAT goes up some, using my Dec. LSAT score to get off the waitlist once I get waitlisted?

I'm in the same situation. 1-2 more points would help me a ton and I score at the low end of my PTs.

From what I've seen, it doesn't sound like you can simultaneously tell them to review your app and still be registered for the Dec LSAT. It sounds like your only options in this case are to tell them to hold review until Dec score, or not register it for it at all and have them review and take in Feb.

I was leaning towards doing the Feb route but am trying to find evidence of people getting off waitlists with a ~2 point increase in Feb score...

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Sandro777 wrote:

I'm in the same situation. 1-2 more points would help me a ton and I score at the low end of my PTs.

From what I've seen, it doesn't sound like you can simultaneously tell them to review your app and still be registered for the Dec LSAT. It sounds like your only options in this case are to tell them to hold review until Dec score, or not register it for it at all and have them review and take in Feb.

I was leaning towards doing the Feb route but am trying to find evidence of people getting off waitlists with a ~2 point increase in Feb score...

Hmm, thanks for the info. Can you PM me (or post here) if you find any evidence of that? I'm also going to call a few schools tomorrow and specifically ask them. I will post here anything I learn.

Would still love to hear if anyone else has tried this or has any experience in this matter.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:16 pm

gendefect wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:

Hmm, thanks for the info. Can you PM me (or post here) if you find any evidence of that? I'm also going to call a few schools tomorrow and specifically ask them. I will post here anything I learn.

Would still love to hear if anyone else has tried this or has any experience in this matter.

Would love to hear whatever you find out.

This is just a guess, but maybe you could wait until you go complete at all your schools, then register for the LSAT in Dec (even if it's a late registration and you have to pay slightly more). That way, all the schools will have your report and you'll go under review, but in the meantime you could take Dec

I know Feb LSAT is usually for takers trying to get in off WL or gain $$, but maybe you can do it for Dec (if you apply immediately).

xqhp82

Postby xqhp82 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:34 pm

bumping this thread...also trying to figure it out.

If I apply now (today or tomorrow), will I be on time to apply for Dec retake after my files go complete? And once they go complete is it sure that the schools won't look at the other scores?

lalalawya

Postby lalalawya » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:03 pm

I am curious about this as well.....I was considering taking the Feb. LSAT in order to get off a few of the waitlists I predict I will be placed on for some of my schools.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:05 am

Okay, so I called NYU and Columbia and talked to them about this idea.

They both said that it was possible to submit your application now and have it considered immediately, regardless of whether you sign up for Dec LSATs or not.

Columbia said that if one were placed on the waitlist, one could then use the Dec LSAT score to attempt to get off of it. NYU said basically the same, though they strongly encouraged against the idea, saying that it wouldn't be until June that they would reconsider based on any new information (like a new LSAT score), such that an applicant would be much better off waiting to apply until after the Dec LSAT score comes in, than applying sooner and trying to use an improved LSAT to get off a waitlist.

A little off-topic, but for the record, both Columbia and NYU said applying ED makes essentially no difference. The person from Columbia said straight up, it makes absolutely no difference in their consideration of an applicant. All it does is allow an applicant to know their decision earlier. NYU said it made a difference, but that it was almost infinitesimal.

NYU also claimed that their process was "relative rolling admission", such that applying at the beginning of January is about the same as applying at the beginning of November. I find that a little hard to believe, but that's what they said.

I have to say, this hasn't helped make the decision process of how to proceed any easier, but it does at least give me more information to work with.

I mean, this info is straight from the admission departments' mouths, but does anyone think they're providing misinformation, or have any reason to be a little deceptive in what they're telling me, or should I just take what they say as truth and make my decisions accordingly?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:45 am

gendefect wrote:Okay, so I called NYU and Columbia and talked to them about this idea.

They both said that it was possible to submit your application now and have it considered immediately, regardless of whether you sign up for Dec LSATs or not.

Columbia said that if one were placed on the waitlist, one could then use the Dec LSAT score to attempt to get off of it. NYU said basically the same, though they strongly encouraged against the idea, saying that it wouldn't be until June that they would reconsider based on any new information (like a new LSAT score), such that an applicant would be much better off waiting to apply until after the Dec LSAT score comes in, than applying sooner and trying to use an improved LSAT to get off a waitlist.

A little off-topic, but for the record, both Columbia and NYU said applying ED makes essentially no difference. The person from Columbia said straight up, it makes absolutely no difference in their consideration of an applicant. All it does is allow an applicant to know their decision earlier. NYU said it made a difference, but that it was almost infinitesimal.

NYU also claimed that their process was "relative rolling admission", such that applying at the beginning of January is about the same as applying at the beginning of November. I find that a little hard to believe, but that's what they said.

I have to say, this hasn't helped make the decision process of how to proceed any easier, but it does at least give me more information to work with.

I mean, this info is straight from the admission departments' mouths, but does anyone think they're providing misinformation, or have any reason to be a little deceptive in what they're telling me, or should I just take what they say as truth and make my decisions accordingly?

Law schools deceptive? Nah. The employment stats are 100% legit too.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:Law schools deceptive? Nah. The employment stats are 100% legit too.

Sure, but they have reason to be deceptive about employment stats. No one wants to go to a school that they think will end them $200K in debt, and without a job. But what's the rationale for law schools being deceptive about the above material? What's to be gained from their perspective?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”