Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby daburrel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:25 am

My story is pretty crazy and it's hard to even get into. However, I am set to graduate in the Spring (only 9hrs left), 22 years old (AA, male), and my GPA isn't great (2.78). During my Sophomore and early Junior year, I had to relocate (family issues) to Baltimore and take online classes. I would have graduated last Spring but the moved made me take less hours and it also took a toll on my GPA. I was a Sports player (scholarships in 11th grade) until Hurricane Katrina & a Knee injury totally changed things. I knew I had to get a college degree so I did attend school but Law School wasn't a 'reachable' goal so I didn't serious attention.

Long story short, my natural abilities with Test & my arrogance towards it came into affect this past October LSAT. My old High School teacher told me this a different monster and I should take December LSAT but I felt I was ready. Scores came back and I bombed it TERRIBLY, 144, even the 2 practice test I took was mid 150's. I am taking 18hrs this semester but I really want to enroll in a Law School next year and take no time off but after these results I am wondering if Law School is a 'reachable' goal anymore.

I want to do a Joint JD in Sports & Entertainment and Criminal Law and my main target school would be Loyola in New Orleans. I have re-applied for December LSAT and I am confident with studying I will get high 150's or maybe even 160's because I know the material just wasn't prepared for time constraints and guessed on average 6 questions PER section. However, due to my standards for Sports & Entertainment & Criminal Law and registration deadlines coming, should I even attempt to apply to Loyola now and get rejected or should I re-test and apply in Jan? I know my LSAT score will increase SO much, and how my grades have increased so much since Freshman-early Junior year, I am wondering is it just too much explaining I will have to do so I should not even try or what should I do?

On LSN, I noticed last year a AA female from NY was accepted into Loyola with a 143 but she had a 3.5 LSDAS GPA but I am just wondering the steps I should take? I know I can apply and get accepted into Southern Law School and do great and hope to transfer to Loyola but that won't work too well with my plans.

What should I do? Any tips? Should I give up my hope for Sports & Entertainment Law? I just really need help and my story and past decisions are only coming to haunt me and I blame no one but myself but I am trying to get things right.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:50 am

You seem pretty confident in your ability to get a high LSAT and high grades, despite having no demonstrable ability to do these things.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 am

Retake.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby sundance95 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:02 pm

tl;dr
rad law wrote:Retake.

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby daburrel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:34 pm

tttlllsss wrote:You seem pretty confident in your ability to get a high LSAT and high grades, despite having no demonstrable ability to do these things.


Actually, I haven't gotten anything less than a 3.0 in my last 4 semesters. Grades isn't a problem for me at all. As far as LSAT goes, I am not confident I can get a 165+ or anything but I know I can do mid 150's for sure if not low 160's. I had to guess on 6 or 7 questions per section so my timing and a bit more exposure to the kinds of questions I feel no problem getting a nice score.

My question to you all remains, since I am retesting, should I hold off any kind of applications as of now and wait until after I took test. I will know after test if I feel confident I scored well, if I answer every question I will be in 150's for sure.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:44 pm

daburrel wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:You seem pretty confident in your ability to get a high LSAT and high grades, despite having no demonstrable ability to do these things.


Actually, I haven't gotten anything less than a 3.0 in my last 4 semesters. Grades isn't a problem for me at all. As far as LSAT goes, I am not confident I can get a 165+ or anything but I know I can do mid 150's for sure if not low 160's. I had to guess on 6 or 7 questions per section so my timing and a bit more exposure to the kinds of questions I feel no problem getting a nice score.

My question to you all remains, since I am retesting, should I hold off any kind of applications as of now and wait until after I took test. I will know after test if I feel confident I scored well, if I answer every question I will be in 150's for sure.


If you're so sure that you'll get a higher LSAT score, then you should obviously retake since your numbers are prohibitively low. No one will tell you to stop short of your potential.

The LSAT doesn't merely test your capacity to answer its questions. Everyone can get 160+ without time constraints; that's not the problem. Rather, the LSAT tests your ability to think quickly. As you take on more and more questions per section, it compounds both the difficulty of avoiding petty errors and having to shift mental gears between questions. This is why the average isn't above 160 but around 150. If you haven't completed a section within time, you shouldn't assume that your past performance will translate to future performance within a constricted timeframe.

Make sure you strictly time your sections next time you practice.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:51 pm

I think you should also do a forum search on here about what is required to even have the possibility of entertainment or sports law.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:52 pm

Has anyone pointed out that he might ought to do a little more research into law school, and that "joint JD's in Sports / Entertainment and Criminal law" don't exist?

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby daburrel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:00 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:I think you should also do a forum search on here about what is required to even have the possibility of entertainment or sports law.


what is it that you mean? I admit I am not 100% sure of the entire process. I am working hard to take care of the prerequisite of just making it into Law School.

@tttlllsss, yeah that's what I have been working on just trying to get the questions answered in 40mins first and steadily work myself into the range of 30-33mins.

Has anyone pointed out that he might ought to do a little more research into law school, and that "joint JD's in Sports / Entertainment and Criminal law" don't exist?


How so? Loyola of New Orleans has an Sports & Entertainment study and according to Wiki (w/ source) it says "The school also runs the Stuart H. Smith Law Clinic and Center For Social Justice, where students are admitted to the limited practice of law under a supervising attorney's license for their 3L year. Through the Clinic, students are able to work in a variety of practice areas, including criminal defense, prosecution, family law, immigration, and mediation and arbitration"

the bold/highlighted Criminal Defense is what I am looking for w/ Sports & Entertainment so if it's not Joint my mistake but that's what I am looking for.

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:00 pm

kalvano wrote:Has anyone pointed out that he might ought to do a little more research into law school, and that "joint JD's in Sports / Entertainment and Criminal law" don't exist?


Really? I was hoping to minor in jury profiling. Damn.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:17 pm

My advice:

Finish school before you retake.

Enroll in one of the longer prep courses (the three or four month ones) after you graduate, and sign up for the June LSAT. You're obviously someone who needs the structure of a prep course, and I think you could use the a year to mature and really research how law school works.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:34 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
I think you should also do a forum search on here about what is required to even have the possibility of entertainment or sports law.


what is it that you mean? I admit I am not 100% sure of the entire process. I am working hard to take care of the prerequisite of just making it into Law School.

@tttlllsss, yeah that's what I have been working on just trying to get the questions answered in 40mins first and steadily work myself into the range of 30-33mins.


Lots of people want to do sports/entertainment law, but you can't just jump straight into that right out of law school. You need to get hired at a big firm in Los Angeles or New York, do corporate and contracts and business law, do it well, then transfer to the entertainment side of the firm. In order to do this, you will most likely have to get into a decent California or New York school, and do well (which isn't guaranteed). There are boutique firms that deal with smaller talent, but you can't count on being hired by one of those. You're going to be competing against tons of people from much better schools, too. It's no walk in the park.

Also, and I don't know this for sure so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd imagine splitting your time between studying criminal stuff and entertainment stuff just might be shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to interviewing with potential employers. They might think you're indecisive, plus they have hundreds of applicants who've fully dedicated their studies towards being either an entertainment or criminal lawyer.

I am working hard to take care of the prerequisite of just making it into Law School.


This is a problem, because you need to be looking much further than that in order to attain your goals. Not every school can get you where you want to be. It's best not cough up a couple hundred thousand bucks only to find out you're shit out of luck. Do more research. This site has a wealth of information. You've got a very uphill battle, sir. Between now and your next LSAT, study the shit out of the test, and figure out what exactly you need to do to get what you want, besides just trying to get into any law school.

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby daburrel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:12 pm

I do understand the difficulties of life after Law School. However, I am a realist to understand that I had a (not so great) past in the start of my college career. Southern University of Baton Rouge is a school I looked at, as well as Texas Southern University for Criminal Law but I always wanted to go into Sports & Entertainment since that is my life. My most passion for law however is Criminal Defense. I do plan to relocate to New York after Law School in which ever state I finish Law School at but now after getting so much info from this board (idk why I haven't been here) I want to answer a question.

Should I just forget retesting altogether in December, apply to Southern & Texas Southern in hopes of just going into Criminal Law and if I excel I can transfer or should I shoot for higher LSAT and go for Loyola? I am never going to get into a Tier 1 school and I am not overly disappointed at it because I will work hard in Law School to try to finish Top 10% in my class and I heard that is good no matter what school you are graduating from, but much better if it was Tier 1 school.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby joemoviebuff » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:18 pm

Study and retake. If you're going to go to Southern or whatever you want to get a scholarship, even though they'll probably take it away if you don't have a good GPA. Up the LSAT score, definitely.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:19 pm

daburrel wrote:I do understand the difficulties of life after Law School. However, I am a realist to understand that I had a (not so great) past in the start of my college career. Southern University of Baton Rouge is a school I looked at, as well as Texas Southern University for Criminal Law but I always wanted to go into Sports & Entertainment since that is my life. My most passion for law however is Criminal Defense. I do plan to relocate to New York after Law School in which ever state I finish Law School at but now after getting so much info from this board (idk why I haven't been here) I want to answer a question.

Should I just forget retesting altogether in December, apply to Southern & Texas Southern in hopes of just going into Criminal Law and if I excel I can transfer or should I shoot for higher LSAT and go for Loyola? I am never going to get into a Tier 1 school and I am not overly disappointed at it because I will work hard in Law School to try to finish Top 10% in my class and I heard that is good no matter what school you are graduating from, but much better if it was Tier 1 school.


90% chance you won't be top 10%. Don't bank on it.

Also NY is one of the most glutted legal markets in the country. Enjoy doc. review.

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby daburrel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:22 pm

90% chance you won't be top 10%. Don't bank on it.

Also NY is one of the most glutted legal markets in the country. Enjoy doc. review.


One thing I have is confidence. I understand the competition. I am willing to take it on head first and I do understand about New York but those are my plans!

@rad law, I will retest. You are right about the scholarship

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:36 pm

daburrel wrote:I do understand the difficulties of life after Law School. However, I am a realist to understand that I had a (not so great) past in the start of my college career. Southern University of Baton Rouge is a school I looked at, as well as Texas Southern University for Criminal Law but I always wanted to go into Sports & Entertainment since that is my life. My most passion for law however is Criminal Defense. I do plan to relocate to New York after Law School in which ever state I finish Law School at but now after getting so much info from this board (idk why I haven't been here) I want to answer a question.

Should I just forget retesting altogether in December, apply to Southern & Texas Southern in hopes of just going into Criminal Law and if I excel I can transfer or should I shoot for higher LSAT and go for Loyola? I am never going to get into a Tier 1 school and I am not overly disappointed at it because I will work hard in Law School to try to finish Top 10% in my class and I heard that is good no matter what school you are graduating from, but much better if it was Tier 1 school.



If the bolded is what you want, go to school in NY. If you go to Southern or Loyola, you're gonna end up in Louisiana (the consolation is Southern is really inexpensive).

Again, forget retaking in December, and take some time to seriously devote yourself to a structured lsat prep schedule.

I don't understand how you continue to scream about confidence. You went into this last lsat with that attitude, and got humbled. You went into undergrad with that attitude, and have been humbled. I had a few friends I tried to help with the lsat and law school who had the same attitude despite having no positive results to back it up. All of them either bombed the lsat, and couldn't get in anywhere, or got in at a shit school and then failed out.

You need to finish undergrad then devote some serious time to lsat prep if you want to go to law school. Also, Southern doesn't give out many scholarships...tuition is dirt cheap for LA residents as it is.

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby daburrel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:05 pm

You are right, but I won't give up on the confidence. I do want to go to Law School in New York but I will see if I can get it anywhere. I didn't go into Undergrad with that attitude at all, I just had alot of personal issues that effected me early on. I will see get as much info as I can get and make the best decision as possible. I do think it's a uphill battle from here with all the new information im learning from this site.

User avatar
nihilism is key
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:32 pm

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby nihilism is key » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:03 am

daburrel wrote:
One thing I have is confidence. I understand the competition. I am willing to take it on head first and I do understand about New York but those are my plans!



Isn't it that confidence (reads more like cockiness) that got you into trouble with the LSAT in the first place? It is all fine and well to have dreams, but you need to be more realistic in the steps it takes to achieve them. If you are serious about heading down this chosen path of yours, you should be willing to take the steps that will help you get there, even if they are less than ideal. There are two things that, in my mind, you need to do (and would be willing to do) if this is truly your dream:

1) With a gpa as low as yours, the most beneficial thing you can do for your application is to distance yourself from your rocky educational history and demonstrate your intelligence and perseverance through meaningful work experience.

2) Re-take the LSAT and not in December. I would suggest studying for the June 2011 LSAT and applying in EARLY September for next years cycle.

Ignore this advice if I misread your post and your only goal is to go to law school. Anyone can go to law school. This advice is for someone who wants to SUCCEED as lawyer.

HTH.

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Should I apply, terrible situation (kinda lenghty)

Postby daburrel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:33 am

Thanks, I will take that advice because it is more than attending Law School that I want. Thanks alot guys




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 01panm, Baidu [Spider], Majestic-12 [Bot], sonyco and 6 guests