Michigan Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alexisj27

New

Michigan

Post by alexisj27 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:39 am

I want to apply to the University of Michigan with a 3.94 and a 165.

Should I apply now and then retake in December?

invisiblesun

Bronze

Re: Michigan

Post by invisiblesun » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:46 am

Unfortunately for you, Michigan uses the highest LSAT to GPA weight out of the T14. You sure you don't want to go to Berkeley? You'd probably need a few points higher LSAT to get the Michigan admittance; 170 should be safe. If you're bent on going this year, I would retake, as getting a 170 or higher would likely get you in at most of the T14 (apart from HYS and maybe Columbia).

alexisj27

New

Post by alexisj27 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:01 am

Yeah, I want to stay in Michigan...

alexisj27

New

Post by alexisj27 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:03 pm

anywhere else I should apply?

will my internship with an attorney help?

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:32 am

The problem is that you want to stay in Michigan. Michigan is the only law school in Michigan with national reach, and you're not a good bet to get in with the 165. If I were you, I would seriously consider retaking- that 3.94 is a terrible thing to waste. A 5 point bump to 170 will likely allow you to get in at most of the T14 (except for HYS), whereas a 165 will likely get you denied or waitlisted at all of the T14. Since you want to stay in Michigan, even a few point bump will greatly increase your chances at Michigan Law.

BTW, are you URM?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:00 am

Simply put:

*You won't get into Michigan without retaking the LSAT for a 169, or maybe a 168 if you get lucky with the rest of your app.
*There are not other law schools in the state of Michigan that anybody on this board would recommend in any circumstances.
*You're being stubborn by refusing to look at other states, so basically there's nothing we can do to help as far as recommending other places to apply.

Whether to apply now or later, that's a tough question. Where were you averaging with your preptests? How many did you take? How much prep-work did you put in?

alexisj27

New

Post by alexisj27 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm not being stubborn. I am engaged and my fiance works in Auburn Hills in Michigan... so I want to stay in Michigan. So if there are no other law schools in Michigan that anyone on this board will suggest then that is fine. I was not aware of that.

I was averaging 167-170. I worked through LSAT books starting with the ones that had tips and worked you through the problems. Then I moved on to taking practice tests. I would guess I took about 10.

No, I am 21, white, and female.

Thanks for the help.

alive

New

Post by alive » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 pm

I have no idea--is it too late to apply ED to Michigan? That might help. I'd plan to retake, anyway, in case you are waitlisted or rejected. If you are waitlisted, your higher LSAT score could help get you to the top of the pile. If you are rejected, might want to apply ED as early as possible next year with you new LSAT score.

ziggie

Bronze

Post by ziggie » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 pm

alive wrote:I have no idea--is it too late to apply ED to Michigan? That might help. I'd plan to retake, anyway, in case you are waitlisted or rejected. If you are waitlisted, your higher LSAT score could help get you to the top of the pile. If you are rejected, might want to apply ED as early as possible next year with you new LSAT score.
ED deadline is November 15th, they recommend sending everything in no later than... TODAY! HURRY, YOU HAVE AN HOUR!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:34 am

alexisj27 wrote:I'm not being stubborn. I am engaged and my fiance works in Auburn Hills in Michigan... so I want to stay in Michigan. So if there are no other law schools in Michigan that anyone on this board will suggest then that is fine. I was not aware of that.

I was averaging 167-170. I worked through LSAT books starting with the ones that had tips and worked you through the problems. Then I moved on to taking practice tests. I would guess I took about 10.

Thanks for the help.
Sorry if I was rough with the stubborn thing, just meant to say that you're going to have to be more flexible if you want to go to a good law school and don't get into Michigan.

First, retake the LSAT and do more preptests... at least 10 more. It DEFINITELY can't hurt. So sign up right away for December. If you get in the high 160's it will make a HUGE difference with your app.

I'm not sure as to whether you should ED (it might actually put you in a bad position if they are pushed to make a decision by Dec 15th and they don't have your new LSAT score so they might move you to the Waitlist instead of the RD pool... check with someone who knows more about Michigan ED in particular as this might not even be an issue). You would basically have to complete your app today or tomorrow, which could be a bad thing if you're not finished...

There's a great chance for you to get in this cycle if you do as well as you did practicing. Just do 1 prep test every two days for the next month (I know that 3's hours a night can be VERY rough, but trust me that it will be worth it).

If you apply RD early, can get a 169 in December, and write an AWESOME "Why Michigan" essay that basically states "If I get in I will come" (which shouldn't be hard if you explain your circumstances and love for the school), I will bet my left leg you get in. Anything below 169 and you probably won't get in. But this shouldn't be an issue... I think anyone who can average 167-170 after only 5-10 preptests is more than capable of scoring in the mid 170's come test-day with enough practice.

alexisj27

New

Post by alexisj27 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks everyone.

I am going to take it again on December 11th and see if I can raise my score and I'll definitely take the advice and do more practice tests! I already bought two more books so I can start on that as soon as possible. I do not think I will be doing the early decision but I appreciate all of the suggestions.

One question, though. What does RD mean? "If you apply RD early, can get a 169 in December, and write an AWESOME "Why Michigan" essay". My guess is regular decision but I want to make sure :)

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:15 am

Regular decision. And as far as PT's go, just make sure to arrange them so you do 5 sections at a time, and try and do the most recent tests you can as test day approaches. The test has REALLY changed and sometimes people kill themselves by taking a bunch of preptests from many years ago.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:22 am

alexisj27 wrote:I'm not being stubborn. I am engaged and my fiance works in Auburn Hills in Michigan... so I want to stay in Michigan. So if there are no other law schools in Michigan that anyone on this board will suggest then that is fine. I was not aware of that.

Thanks for the help.

Even if you are too late to ED, write them an awesome Why Michigan (that excludes the fiance as a reason) telling them how much you love Michigan.

If you want to stay in Michigan permanently, like work in Detroit, then you could go to Wayne State and still get a very good job, because Wayne has a really good relationship with Detroit firms.

alexisj27

New

Post by alexisj27 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”