Retaking after acceptances (feb) for scholarship $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJDancer

Retaking after acceptances (feb) for scholarship $$

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:40 pm

(x-posted in the LSAT forum)

I think I have seen people do this and take the Feb exam after some Dec/Jan acceptances and score higher for some scholarship $$. (or to get off waitlists)

I've taken the LSAT 3 times so I would need some school to approve it for me but once I cancelled and the other 2 times there was always "something" that went wrong and I scored 4-5 points below where I was PTing.

In any case a Feb score couldn't hurt since most schools don't accept that score for this cycle so it wouldn't hold up my apps right?

A) can i do this?
B) any downsides?

I don't want to risk Dec (later in cycle and what if I don't improve).

Re: Retaking after acceptances (feb) for scholarship $$

Postby 2014 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:54 pm

The only downside is the money and time it will cost you. Just tell schools to not worry about that LSAT score in making a decision and they won't.

If you do better, it can do nothing but help. If you do worse, your shot at getting off of WLs is bad, but it was probably bad before regardless.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:35 pm

I took the Feb LSAT last year after being accepted to some schools. I got a higher score and it got me more money at the school I ended up attending.

Only do it if you really think you can get an even higher score. It won't help much on admissions (unless you get a 175+ or something ridiculous) but it could definitely help with scholarship negotiation.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:37 pm

2014 wrote:The only downside is the money and time it will cost you. Just tell schools to not worry about that LSAT score in making a decision and they won't.

If you do better, it can do nothing but help. If you do worse, your shot at getting off of WLs is bad, but it was probably bad before regardless.

Thanks. I don't mind spending the time/money. I'm more concerned with scholarship $ rather than waitlists (right now since I haven't applied and thus haven't been WL anywhere)
If a school has accepted me but not told me $$ info by Feb, then taking the Feb test and doing worse could negatively affect chances at/amount of $$ right?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:42 pm

existenz wrote:I took the Feb LSAT last year after being accepted to some schools. I got a higher score and it got me more money at the school I ended up attending.

Only do it if you really think you can get an even higher score. It won't help much on admissions (unless you get a 175+ or something ridiculous) but it could definitely help with scholarship negotiation.

Thanks. This is encouraging. Can I just tell schools to not wait for that score to make a decision? Or will the T-20 disregard my registration since most of them don't accept the Feb score?

I understand the part about being confident in my ability to get a better score. I'm trying to be realistic and although I had been scoring 170-176 on PTs, I now know test day issues (anxiety) can mess with me more than I expected. I will work on this and then I am confident I can score 170+.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:25 pm

JJDancer wrote:
existenz wrote:I took the Feb LSAT last year after being accepted to some schools. I got a higher score and it got me more money at the school I ended up attending.

Thanks. This is encouraging. Can I just tell schools to not wait for that score to make a decision? Or will the T-20 disregard my registration since most of them don't accept the Feb score?

I understand the part about being confident in my ability to get a better score. I'm trying to be realistic and although I had been scoring 170-176 on PTs, I now know test day issues (anxiety) can mess with me more than I expected. I will work on this and then I am confident I can score 170+.

Don't tell them anything yet, just sign up for the Feb LSAT on the last day you can do so. Then you can call the admissions offices and tell them not to wait. The only school that told me they would wait for the score was UCLA, but they ended up accepting me (w/$$$) before the score came in anyway. Go figure.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Does the same hold for taking the LSAT in Dec?

I would like to try this plan, but use it to get off of waitlists (in case I get on any). But I don't want to wait until Feb because I feel like I'm at the height of my LSAT ability now, and I don't want to have to maintain being there for another 3 months. If I could take the LSAT in Dec (and hopefully got up a few points), and still have my applications looked at as soon as I sent them in (in the next few days), that would be perfect for me. But I don't want to do it if it means schools won't look at my apps until Jan.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:49 pm

gendefect wrote:Does the same hold for taking the LSAT in Dec?

I would like to try this plan, but use it to get off of waitlists (in case I get on any). But I don't want to wait until Feb because I feel like I'm at the height of my LSAT ability now, and I don't want to have to maintain being there for another 3 months. If I could take the LSAT in Dec (and hopefully got up a few points), and still have my applications looked at as soon as I sent them in (in the next few days), that would be perfect for me. But I don't want to do it if it means schools won't look at my apps until Jan.

They say they won't look at then until they get your Dec score.

gendefect

Postby gendefect » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:14 pm

JJDancer wrote:They say they won't look at then until they get your Dec score.

Even if you specifically tell them not to wait?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:13 pm

gendefect wrote:
JJDancer wrote:They say they won't look at then until they get your Dec score.

Even if you specifically tell them not to wait?

Some will review if you tell them to. Some won't. It goes by school. ask them.

LSU Undergrad

Postby LSU Undergrad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Is this seriously an option? That would be awesome if it is. Pretty much a no pressure LSAT where only good can come from it and if I suck, then who cares.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Do we have to notify the schools we have applied to when our scores come in, or does LSAC automatically forward the new score?

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:46 pm

luckyme wrote:Do we have to notify the schools we have applied to when our scores come in, or does LSAC automatically forward the new score?

Automatically sent. But if you are on a WL then you would send a LOCI including your new LSAT score.

If you are negotiating scholly then you would also send a letter/email including it as consideration for why they should increase your $$

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:50 pm

I just wanted to say, this is one of the most valuable things I've gotten from this board, which is usually little other than a very direct and simple way to procrastinate.

I am totally taking the February LSAT, because I only took four practice tests and had to pee like a racehorse during the logic games section when I took the June administration. The whole thing wasn't planned out terribly carefully.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”