Admissions Help: Apply this year or the next?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
smoneill88

Admissions Help: Apply this year or the next?

Postby smoneill88 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Hello Everyone,

So I got my recent LSAT score and I am pleased as punch! I didn't choke this time (like in June when I got a 163..bleh) and I got a 169, only 2 below my practice test norm. I have a few apps already filled out (but not complete and send, just pending my personal statement), my personal statement almost complete, and my letters of rec are uploaded and good to go, meaning I could apply within the next week, but my situation is such:

I just got a great job, like a really great job, not necessarily in the legal field, but working for Apple Inc. corporate. I report directly to Steve Jobs, and I know this would be a great addition to my application. The pay is also amazing and is going to enable me to save a lot up to pay for law school in the next year and a half to 2 years.

:?: So the question is, is there any disadvantage to waiting until next year to apply, or should I apply now and potentially differ for a year (since I want to take advantage of this working opportunity for at least a full year)? :?:

For reference purposes, my GPA was 3.58, as mentioned, prev. LSAT was 163, this one was 169, and I have a lot of work experience and internships from during college at very prestigious institutions throughout Los Angeles. The 2 schools I really only care about getting into are USC and UCLA, because it is pretty important to me to be located in LA or a major city, NY being the other option.

Thank you very much!

kineticx

Re: Admissions Help: Apply this year or the next?

Postby kineticx » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Are you a graduate? (Is the 3.53 your final GPA) If I were in your position, I would wait a year to apply.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:36 pm

I would wait a year and absolutely perfect your apps. Turn them in the day they open and you'll probably get into some reaches.

Good luck, have fun working for the devil! (Apple)

rengic

Postby rengic » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:44 pm

I can't really speak to admissions benefits in terms of waiting. But, if it were up to me, I would wait simply because this is an amazing life opportunity. Unlike this position at Apple, Law school will always be there whenever you are ready to apply.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:35 pm

It wont hurt your applications thats for sure. If you are going to seek a deferral anyway I wouldn't apply now

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:44 pm

Excellent. I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't any reason regarding an advantage/disadvantage to applying now (my intuiting told me no problems).

My next question is what do I do with the applications I had started? None of them are fully completed, will they just disappear at the end of the cycle? Or is there a necessary way that I should delete them from LSAC? Also, similar question regarding letters of rec. I have 2 already posted to my LSAC account, will they carry over to next year, or will I have to ask my recommenders to re-submit next summer?

Thanks

vsl89

Postby vsl89 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:55 pm

smoneill88 wrote:Excellent. I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't any reason regarding an advantage/disadvantage to applying now (my intuiting told me no problems).

My next question is what do I do with the applications I had started? None of them are fully completed, will they just disappear at the end of the cycle? Or is there a necessary way that I should delete them from LSAC? Also, similar question regarding letters of rec. I have 2 already posted to my LSAC account, will they carry over to next year, or will I have to ask my recommenders to re-submit next summer?

Thanks

The letters will carry over. They are valid for as long as your LSAC account, I believe.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”