Going all in

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ATORR21

Going all in

Postby ATORR21 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi all,

I've decided to go for broke and apply to law school for the Fall of 2012 admission cycle. I'm 38, married with 2 young boys, and have a well-paying job that I don't love that has undergone many changes given the state of the global economy. I have money tucked away in savings and a place to live that's paid for, so I figured the timing couldn't get any better to make a foray into law school. I plan on going full time, so I won't work for 12-18 months while I'm in school, I'm based out of the NY area, but my school search will encompass northeastern states, including DC and VA. Any advice for someone whose ready to take this plunge?

Thanks and Happy Halloween.

beachbum

Re: Going all in

Postby beachbum » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Gonna need your GPA and LSAT before we're able to give you any meaningful advice.

You might also check out lawschoolnumbers.com and lawschoolpredictor.com.

ATORR21

Postby ATORR21 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:18 pm

GPA is 3.83 at a SUNY school, night program. LSAT I'm taking in February. Doing some self study in advance of my Kaplan course. My practice scores are right around the median, 150.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:01 pm

You could get into some really good schools with that GPA and your non-traditional status if you get that LSAT up into the 170's.

Study your face off for that LSAT. Go over to the LSAT Prep and Discussion forum and get started :)

Good luck.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:03 pm

CMDantes wrote:You could get into some really good schools with that GPA and your non-traditional status if you get that LSAT up into the 170's.

Study your face off for that LSAT. Go over to the LSAT Prep and Discussion forum and get started :)

Good luck.

I agree with studying to improve your LSAT but statistically it is very rare to go up to a 170 from a 150. If your reading comprehension is already strong there may be some shot though. But realistically, even a jump to 163-64 would help a lot (tough but not impossible depending on where your current strengths and weaknesses are).

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:12 pm

Read through the LSAT Prep and Discussion forum. Many people have done it with a tremendous amount of effort and repetition.

Edit: To say that even if you get into the upper 160's you'll still get into some really good programs.

mst

Postby mst » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:43 pm

If you have a well-paying job, going into a law school that will take a 150 is a giant is a stupid risk in my opinion, as those kind of schools generally don't offer anything near what could be considered a reliable chance at a well-paying job. I would imagine at your age and with your kids, you're on the risk averse side of things... You need to get around a 164 to get into a school that will ensure a job that's as good as the one you currently have.

For east coast this would mean BC, BU, GW, Fordham, maybe Vandy if you're willing to move a bit, and maybe UVA Early Decision if you can get around 165/166. Keep in mind that a 150->165 is a BIG jump to make that requires a LOT of work, don't let the others on this board lead you to believe it's going to be a cakewalk. Also keep in mind that even out of the schools I mentioned, there's no guarantee that you won't end up with a job that only makes 40-50,000 a year (especially at BC, BU, GW & Fordham where such a thing is actually likely). This can be a deathtrap with huge loans.

Good luck.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:18 pm

First, I don't think being non-trad will give you any boost - I have yet to experience any real impact of being non-trad. Second, I don't think I would have made the decision to go to law school if I had scored a 150-160. I think at that range, if you could score better on the GRE or GMAT you would do yourself a favor by going to a better grad/biz school and explore other options.

I am only a few years younger and about the same position (job, kids, house, etc...). I took the Feb LSAT and my score convinced me to go "all in". But I am in grad school in the meantime and I think I would have decided to try a PhD or just top at masters if I didn't score well on the LSAT.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:34 pm

TLS is heavily skewed towards people who scored in the 95th percentile or better on the LSAT (or lulzy 0Ls who "plan" to score in the 95th percentile or better). So take all the doom-and-gloom must-improve-LSAT advice with that in mind. That said, it's also pretty good advice.

With a 150, you simply will not be able to get into a school that will get you the kind of job you need to continue providing for your family in the way that you presently are able to do. If you end up deciding on law school, you better have a LOT of money saved up, because the odds are OVERWHELMING that if you get a job coming out of the sort of school to which you're likely to be admitted with a 150, you'll be making about $50,000.

If you can raise your score even to 160, you're looking at a much better array of options, but short of that you need to think very, very carefully about whether law school is for you. Additionally, your OP mentions being out of work for 12-18 months due to law school. I'm not sure where you're getting that timeframe, but law school is a 3 year commitment, and you'll only be able to work during the summer, unless you take a part time research gig or something during your second and third years. Plan on having little or no income all three years.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:44 pm

Which kaplan are you taking (advantage, extreme, obv not advanced)? I took the extreme and went +11 off diag. I would suggest spending the extra 200 for extreme as I've had buddies who took the basic class and only score ~+5... just sayin'

mst

Postby mst » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:52 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:Which kaplan are you taking (advantage, extreme, obv not advanced)? I took the extreme and went +11 off diag. I would suggest spending the extra 200 for extreme as I've had buddies who took the basic class and only score ~+5... just sayin'

I disagree. I took basic and did +14. Honestly, the methods are not very different, and the time spent in class is not going to make the difference, especially with the rudimentary methods that Kaplan teaches. In my opinion, once you start getting to the extreme stuff, it gets a little bull-****y. Kaplan is awesome because of the books + online resources, which makes your self studying EXTREMELY effective if you put the time in and do every practice test and book. You get these resources/books regardless of the course you take. Also, less time & money spent taking the advanced course means less burnout which means you're pushed to do more self-study, which I think is 100% more effective. All the classes really do is keep you on track and focused. Stick with the basic.

The difference between your performance 2Serious and your friends is probably due to self-selection into certain courses, if I were to guess.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:08 pm

You can absolutely increase your score from the 150s and should do everything within your power to improve that if you're dead set on law school. My first cold diag was a 151 and I ended up with a 170 for Oct. It takes a lot of hard work but is absolutely attainable if you're determined. While this forum is skewed, the fact is that a score in the low to mid 150s will not get you very far.
That being said, while I don't know the full extent of your financial or living situations, this is a huge undertaking considering your family, particularly your 2 young children and their quality of life. Having a job that you don't love could potentially be cured by switching jobs within the industry or shortly to a career with a similar skill set. Law school is a huge commitment and should not be entered into on a whim, especially if you're scoring in the 150s and looking at lower tiered schools.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:21 pm

oscodasa wrote:You can absolutely increase your score from the 150s and should do everything within your power to improve that if you're dead set on law school. My first cold diag was a 151 and I ended up with a 170 for Oct. It takes a lot of hard work but is absolutely attainable if you're determined. While this forum is skewed, the fact is that a score in the low to mid 150s will not get you very far.
That being said, while I don't know the full extent of your financial or living situations, this is a huge undertaking considering your family, particularly your 2 young children and their quality of life. Having a job that you don't love could potentially be cured by switching jobs within the industry or shortly to a career with a similar skill set. Law school is a huge commitment and should not be entered into on a whim, especially if you're scoring in the 150s and looking at lower tiered schools.

He speaks da truth. Cold diagnostic- 148, after one month of intense studying 155 PT average, October LSAT after 7 months studying 172

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”