Better to Apply Early in the Cycle or Retake in December

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BilderMoss

Better to Apply Early in the Cycle or Retake in December

Postby BilderMoss » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:07 am

Ok, my situation is this ...

GPA: 3.33
Oct. LSAT: 172
PT score average: 175-176 (score between 177 and 180 on 5 of my last 6)
Softs: weak-average

I really want to get in to Georgetown and/or Penn. Should I apply now or retake in December and apply in January? I know it's important to apply early, but would the possible lsat boost justify waiting? And how much weight does that put on the second LSAT -- meaning, if I get the same score on that one, how much does that drop my odds applying in Jan. vs. applying now? Also does anyone have those georgetown/penn acceptance date charts (I looked but couldn't find them)?

Thanks for your help. This board has made life much easier for me/albeit at times more stressful.

existenz

Re: Better to Apply Early in the Cycle or Retake in December

Postby existenz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:34 am

Apply now. That's a good LSAT but if you definitely think you can do better, retake. You probably have a good shot at GULC already, Penn is more iffy.

You had better consider other T14 schools as well. If you ED'd at UVA or NU you'd probably have a good chance of admission with your current stats (though you'd need at least a year of WE at NU).

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:49 am

what about someone who had 5 points lower than there average test... is waiting until Jan THAT bad of an idea?

BilderMoss

Postby BilderMoss » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:26 pm

How much of an LSAT improvement would justify waiting?

And what if I applied ED to Georgetown and signed up for the December test but didn't tell them to wait for it. Then if I get in ED I don't take the test and if I don't/am waitlisted, I do take the test and apply to other schools in January. Would that work?

Bitter Buffalo

Postby Bitter Buffalo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:12 pm

BilderMoss wrote:How much of an LSAT improvement would justify waiting?

And what if I applied ED to Georgetown and signed up for the December test but didn't tell them to wait for it. Then if I get in ED I don't take the test and if I don't/am waitlisted, I do take the test and apply to other schools in January. Would that work?

Are we able to do this, or do schools automatically put your app on hold until the new score is released?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:57 pm

The LSAC report will indicate your future December test date - it's up to the schools if they want to hold or out.

Bitter Buffalo

Postby Bitter Buffalo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:37 pm

im_blue wrote:The LSAC report will indicate your future December test date - it's up to the schools if they want to hold or out.

Do schools have firm policies on this or do they do it on an individual case-by-case basis?

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:10 pm

i think it also depends if you can actually reach your pt average in real test conditions. do you get intense test anxiety? or did you just mess up a section you normally ace? this is a big question.

also applying early and retaking are not mutually exclusive. you can always apply next year and take a year off. i'm taking a few off and i recommend the reality check of living in the real world.

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:24 pm

done that...

it was a miss bubbling issue

i was going to apply to northeastern... wait for the second score and then apply to BC BU

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:55 am

Bitter Buffalo wrote:
im_blue wrote:The LSAC report will indicate your future December test date - it's up to the schools if they want to hold or out.

Do schools have firm policies on this or do they do it on an individual case-by-case basis?

Relatively certain the default is to wait, but if you tell them not to they usually respect that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”