Advice on retaking the LSAT please.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lasers

Advice on retaking the LSAT please.

Postby Lasers » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:37 am

took the LSAT for the first time in october and got 163.

with my stats (3.73, 163, not URM), i might be able to get into uc hastings, which is the only school i would be willing to go to that i currently have a realistic shot at. should i apply to schools this cycle and see what happens, and then possibly retake in june (if i don't get into hastings), or should i just not bother applying this cycle and just retake?

thanks.

maroonzoon

Re: Advice on retaking the LSAT please.

Postby maroonzoon » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:57 am

I was in a similar boat a year ago. What were you PT'ing? If you studied for it again, is there a section you think you could really improve (like games)? Would you be able to put in the time to study for it more hardcore than before? Those are the questions you have to answer for yourself. I took the extra year and did wayyy better.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:22 am

maroonzoon wrote:I was in a similar boat a year ago. What were you PT'ing? If you studied for it again, is there a section you think you could really improve (like games)? Would you be able to put in the time to study for it more hardcore than before? Those are the questions you have to answer for yourself. I took the extra year and did wayyy better.

thanks for the insight.

if i take the extra year, i definitely feel i can improve my score. my only issue is, i don't know how much (for example, a 4-5 point increase still puts me on unsure footing for UCLA/USC and i only plan on attending CA schools) and i also don't know if i want to take that year off. if i don't get into hastings this cycle, i've got no choices and will definitely retake it though.

i'm thinking i might as well just try my luck this cycle?

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:28 am

RETAKE.

I had a very similar score on the Oct LSAT last year. I also had a high GPA. I was thinking "Well I have a shot at Hastings and Loyola and maybe UCLA if I write a great PS".

But I retook in December and got a 170+. It opened up a whole new universe. I got into Hastings/Loyola with full scholarships. I also got into Texas/UCLA with $90k scholarships. I also got into about 5 T14 schools with half-tuition scholarships.

Absolutely retake and study smarter for the LSAT this time. Send your apps in now but let the schools know you are retaking.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 pm

iwant to retake in october for the 2011 to 2012 cycle. i got into several schools thus far in the 2010 to 2011 cycle. i will have to withdraw. i will probably reapply to same schools i was already accepted to is that a problem. im trying to get in with more scholarship money

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 pm

drummerboy wrote:iwant to retake in october for the 2011 to 2012 cycle. i got into several schools thus far in the 2010 to 2011 cycle. i will have to withdraw. i will probably reapply to same schools i was already accepted to is that a problem. im trying to get in with more scholarship money

Purely personal anecdotal experience: no, it's not a problem.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 pm

thanks. with all the retake threads i figured by now that info was cast in stone

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”