3.84, 166, retaking in Dec -- Apply ASAP or January? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aesis

Bronze

3.84, 166, retaking in Dec -- Apply ASAP or January?

Post by aesis » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 am

3.84 GPA
166 - Oct 2010
Retaking in December
173 - PT Average before October (180 on PT 58 a week before the actual test)
- 1 extremely strong LOR ("one of the strongest letters in his career", very popular professor)
- Relatively strong (?) softs (published in academic journal, pre-law fraternity leadership for 3 years, study abroad, 2 years law firm records clerk experience, others)

I consider October a fluke. I had major nerves and had to hold my pee for three sections. I took 30 PTs and only scored lower than 170 twice, and those were the first two I took. So I KNOW I can hit 170+ in December.

Knowing this, for what schools would it be beneficial to apply ASAP (I'm guessing Berkeley?) since I am a "Consider" at most of T7-T14.

I would appreciate any advice.

veragood

New

Re: 3.84, 166, retaking in Dec -- Apply ASAP or January?

Post by veragood » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:14 am

Some schools, when they ask when you took/plan on taking the LSAT score, tell you straight up they won't look at your app til all scores are in. I think schools like this there is no harm and just waiting. For the other schools, I would apply only to the places you are 100% sure you will atleast get waitlisted, and just apply ASAP after you get your 2nd LSAT back to the rest.

It's what I'm doing, except I've had a lot more time to think of it since I took the LSAT in June.

veragood

New

Re: 3.84, 166, retaking in Dec -- Apply ASAP or January?

Post by veragood » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:17 am

Basically, you seem confident enough in your ability to get 170+, which as far as I know way more than compensates for not getting in early on rolling admissions. Seriously, 166 to even a 170 is a pretty big deal. Doing 173+ would be huge.

The worst part about it is keeping sane. It's weird but not applying, even when you've rationalized it out why waiting is preferable, will gnaw at you like you're not doing all you can. But that - hopefully - will pass.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”