2.5 years too short despite......

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
joshg863

2.5 years too short despite......

Postby joshg863 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:11 am

I realize there are other threads on the topic but felt additional input would really help me.

I served a two year mission for my church after high school. I started college this past winter and can graduate with out tacking a heavy load by Winter 12.

If I do this I'll be 24 by the time I start law school.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and graduate early or stay another year. I would be a year.5 (5 semesters) into my undergrad by the time I apply next year.

Is there any other major advantage from doing another year of school other than more time for LSAT prep and a boost to GPA?

T14 is the dream.

other info
GPA: 3.7 (at least 3.75 by the time I apply)
Work: Teach Spanish to missionaries going abroad.
EX: (service) Spanish and Portuguese tutor and English teacher for Hispanic families

quaisi URM

veragood

Re: 2.5 years too short despite......

Postby veragood » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:16 am

joshg863 wrote:Is there any other major advantage from doing another year of school other than more time for LSAT prep and a boost to GPA?

College is fun?

joshg863

Postby joshg863 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:00 am

bump

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:32 am

it really depends on what your goals are. you seem to be very conscious of how old you are and how that compares.

major advantages include:
1) more time before law school. once you're in law school, on most traditional tracks, the legal career keeps you going for decades. your summers will be shot and then after you graduate, you'll be working, maybe starting a family and all that, if that's what you want. i think it's nice that you can have more time to explore before confining yourself to the law.
2) though previous poster noted lightly that college is fun, i agree. there is much to be learned from other peers at your school. depends on how much you like it there. if not, finish early. if you do, maybe not.
3) law schools want to make sure the students they accept can succeed in school and once they graduate. so maturity is definitely a positive quality.

hope this helps.

joshg863

Postby joshg863 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks for the replies!

They are helping me decide.

any other opinions?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”