Wordsmiths, help me with a job description for my resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thisisgeorge

Wordsmiths, help me with a job description for my resume

Postby thisisgeorge » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi all,

For the past 6 months I have been working by myself on restoring a huge old family owned house in the UK that hasn't been lived in for years. I basically moved to the UK by myself, with no experience, and took on the whole project myself. Specifically the following:

-Did minor restorations that I could handle myself (painting, tearing shit down, etc)
-Entered into negotiations with the English Heritage Society (they want to preserve old buildings, i want to modernize it, had to battle with them extensively
-Hired architects to formulate plans for how to restore the house. Oversaw and approved their plans once they were completed.
-Hired construction workers, plumbers, electritians, etc and oversaw their work.

And probably several other things that I'm forgetting about.

I've labeled the job "Project Manager for xxxxxxxxxx development"

This is the only job I've had since graduating university in may. I had a mediocre (3.46) gpa, no honors or school sponsored activities, basically a really shitty resume. If possible, I'd like this to the major focal point of my resume. I read somewhere that you shouldn't exceed 3 bullet points per entry, could I somehow turn this job into 2 entries?

Help!

homestyle28

Re: Wordsmiths, help me with a job description for my resume

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:58 pm

Wait...so your family owned the house? or a family "hired" you to do it? Where did your living expenses come from while you were engaged in this project?

What about "Self-Employed General Contractor"?

thisisgeorge

Postby thisisgeorge » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:26 pm

The house is owned by my family. I didn't think it would be good to mention that on the resume though.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:32 pm

thisisgeorge wrote:The house is owned by my family. I didn't think it would be good to mention that on the resume though.

If you were paid, and espeically if your income will be reported on a 1099 or somesuch, it seems fine to list it as a job without mentioning your family... Just my two cents.

If you were not paid, I think calling yourself a "project manager" would be a misrepresentation.

What you did sounds really interesting though in its own right... Why do you feel you need to fudge it?

Tho maybe it'd be better as 2-3 points on your resume, but you make it the focus of your PS?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:33 pm

thisisgeorge wrote:Hi all,

For the past 6 months I have been working by myself on restoring a huge old family owned house in the UK that hasn't been lived in for years. I basically moved to the UK by myself, with no experience, and took on the whole project myself. Specifically the following:

-Did minor restorations that I could handle myself (painting, tearing shit down, etc)
-Entered into negotiations with the English Heritage Society (they want to preserve old buildings, i want to modernize it, had to battle with them extensively
-Hired architects to formulate plans for how to restore the house. Oversaw and approved their plans once they were completed.
-Hired construction workers, plumbers, electritians, etc and oversaw their work.

And probably several other things that I'm forgetting about.

I've labeled the job "Project Manager for xxxxxxxxxx development"

This is the only job I've had since graduating university in may. I had a mediocre (3.46) gpa, no honors or school sponsored activities, basically a really shitty resume. If possible, I'd like this to the major focal point of my resume. I read somewhere that you shouldn't exceed 3 bullet points per entry, could I somehow turn this job into 2 entries?

Help!

4 bullet points is fine... but is probably overkill for this job. here's something to think about:

- Successfully negotiated with the English Heritage Society for approval to modernize historic building
- Employed and oversaw [# of] architecture firms to formulate a plan to restore a [description of house (i.e. vacant Victorian mansion worth $XYZ)]
- Supervised [# of] construction workers, plumbers, and electricians to ensure that their work conformed with plans on a $COST project

also, i agree with the above poster. if this was something you weren't paid and is your only project, then "project manager" seems inappropriate unless the section is titled "volunteer experience" or something liek that

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”