If I apply now, what's the earliest a school would deny me?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
veragood
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 pm

If I apply now, what's the earliest a school would deny me?

Postby veragood » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:37 pm

(Paranoia ITT)

3.01 GPA
170 LSAT, retaking in December (should get at least a 174, testing closer to 176+)

So I'm finishing up like 80% of my applications to my safety and mid-level schools, the ones I'm sure I'll at least get wait listed at.
Is it stupid for me to put off applying to my reach schools like Georgetown and Cornell, because I'm afraid they'll deny me before my higher LSAT gets in?

Basically: when do schools make the decision where they put some applications in the "deny" pile? Should I wait to apply to my top schools until I get my 2nd (and hopefully superb) LSAT score in?

User avatar
veragood
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: If I apply now, what's the earliest a school would deny me?

Postby veragood » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Answered my own question.

From Georgetown's application instructions

2) Regular Decision
The Admissions Committee reviews applications on a rolling basis, as applications are completed with all required supplemental information. Thus, even within the Regular Decision process, it is to your advantage to complete your application as early as possible.

Timeline

The final application deadline is March 1, for applicants applying to the Full-time and Part-time Divisions. Candidates are notified as soon as decisions are reached, usually eight to twelve weeks after your file is complete with all supporting documentation.


I figure that it's probably not worth the small chance they consider my application complete and deny me before I get the chance to show them my second LSAT score. Even if they didn't consider my application complete until the second score was in, it would make no real difference whether I applied now and waited for the score to be electronically sent to them, or if I waited for the score to get in and then immediately sent in my application.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: If I apply now, what's the earliest a school would deny me?

Postby Bumi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm confused. Why wouldn't you just wait to finalize your applications until you get your December score? Surely a 4-6 point boost outweighs applying early.

User avatar
veragood
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: If I apply now, what's the earliest a school would deny me?

Postby veragood » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Hmmm, is a 174-176 worth giving up all the benefits of rolling admissions? I guess it's just hard because (1) I don't exactly know how much harder it is to get in if you apply in early January (2) it sucks waiting to apply, feels like I'm being lazy.

And (3), if in the small chance I get really sick the day of the test... then that's really bad. Just an all-eggs-in-one-basket kind of situation. I have no doubt in my ability to get a stellar score, it's just the tiny possibility of something going terribly wrong that scares me.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests