Intern = Researcher?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MissLucky

Intern = Researcher?

Postby MissLucky » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:03 pm

I was a full-time paid intern for a good year and whenever my supervisors would introduce me to clients they would introduce me as a "junior staffer" or "research assistant" - would it be okay to say in my resume that my position was a "researcher" rather than an "intern"? would this kind of semantic distinction come up in C&F?

Knock

Re: Intern = Researcher?

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:04 pm

MissLucky wrote:I was a full-time paid intern for a good year and whenever my supervisors would introduce me to clients they would introduce me as a "junior staffer" or "research assistant" - would it be okay to say in my resume that my position was a "researcher" rather than an "intern"? would this kind of semantic distinction come up in C&F?

It isn't going to matter, put whatever you want. It isn't likely to make any difference at all on your application. No, this won't be an issue for C&F.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Knockglock wrote:
MissLucky wrote:I was a full-time paid intern for a good year and whenever my supervisors would introduce me to clients they would introduce me as a "junior staffer" or "research assistant" - would it be okay to say in my resume that my position was a "researcher" rather than an "intern"? would this kind of semantic distinction come up in C&F?

It isn't going to matter, put whatever you want. No, this won't be an issue for C&F.

how do you know? what on our applications would even comes up during C&F? hours worked? etc.?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 pm

MissLucky wrote:how do you know? what on our applications would even comes up during C&F? hours worked? etc.?

I highly doubt C&F cares that much about semantics.

Now if you were a secretary and said CEO, or a worker and called yourself a manager when you didn't manage others, or a janitor and called yourself the Chief Janitorial Officer, then maybe. But you really aren't going that far.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

It isn't going to matter, put whatever you want. No, this won't be an issue for C&F.

how do you know? what on our applications would even comes up during C&F? hours worked? etc.?

C&F is mainly concerned with character issues that would cast doubt on your integrity and ability to be an honorable member of the bar. The biggest thing they look at would be lying about past offenses, such as checking "no" to the "have you ever been arrested" question when you actually have been arrested. A small semantic difference won't be an issue. Now if you claim to be a professor or something, that could be an issue.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”