GPA addendum advice/critique?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
okfine

GPA addendum advice/critique?

Postby okfine » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Is any heading more specific than 'ADDENDUM--GPA' necessary? And should it really be all-caps?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ADDENDUM--GPA
From 1996 to 1999, I attended XXXX, compiling a 2.35 GPA. Realizing that my immaturity was creating an academic record that would deny me opportunities, I decided to withdraw. After working full time for four years, I began again, first at XXXX for one semester in the fall of 2003, where I carried a 3.81 while working full time. Then I attended XXXX for seven semesters, where I graduated cum laude with a BA in Computer Science. I finished at XXXX with a 3.76 GPA, also while working full time.
My academic performance from 2003 to 2007 is more reflective of my current potential than my performance from 1996 to 1999.

Knock

Re: GPA addendum advice/critique?

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:00 pm

okfine wrote:Is any heading more specific than 'ADDENDUM--GPA' necessary? And should it really be all-caps?

ADDENDUM--GPA
From 1996 to 1999, I attended XXXX, compiling a 2.35 GPA. Realizing that my immaturity was creating an academic record that would deny me opportunities, I decided to withdraw. After working full time for four years, I began again, first at XXXX for one semester in the fall of 2003, where I carried a 3.81 while working full time. Then I attended XXXX for seven semesters, where I graduated cum laude with a BA in Computer Science. I finished at XXXX with a 3.76 GPA, also while working full time.
My academic performance from 2003 to 2007 is more reflective of my current potential than my performance from 1996 to 1999.

I wouldn't include this addendum. Immaturity is not really a good reason for writing an addendum. Good reasons for GPA addendum include working an intense schedule on top of school, medical issue(s), family issue(s), etc. Adcomms will be able to see your improvement, but in the end this addendum won't help you, it will just come down to your LSDAS GPA. Adcomms have seen similar scenarios many, many times.

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Knockglock wrote:I wouldn't include this addendum. Immaturity is not really a good reason for writing an addendum. Good reasons for GPA addendum include working an intense schedule on top of school, medical issue(s), family issue(s), etc. Adcomms will be able to see your improvement, but in the end this addendum won't help you, it will just come down to your LSDAS GPA. Adcomms have seen similar scenarios many, many times.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:04 pm

@Knockglock: I disagree. Considering the OP has to at least write an addendum explaining dropping out I feel that mentioning immaturity there is fine and it really doesn't hurt to say that you feel the newer GPA is more representative. If there was no withdrawal then I could understand your point but the dropping out kind of forces OP's hand here.

@OP: I think it is a little long and you could be more brief. You don't really need to mention your original GPA and you don't really need to mention the first college you went to in 2003 and its GPA. Consider something like:

I attended XXXX from 1996-1999. Realizing I was not ready for school I dropped out and worked full time for four years. I returned to school in 2003 while still working full time. I feel that graduating cum laude and achieving a 3.76 at YYYY is more representative of my abilities as a student than my prior academic record.
Last edited by bk1 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:05 pm

okfine wrote:Is any heading more specific than 'ADDENDUM--GPA' necessary? And should it really be all-caps?

I do not think so, but OP I would check with the individual school you end up applying to.

What you wrote looks good. I would maybe think about changing the amount of commas in your addendum. I do not think any of them are splices, but over punctuated sentences can usually be paired down some. Just my two cents

Knockglock could be right about schools not really caring, but so long as what you wrote is well-written more info shouldn't hurt you (at least that is what one adcomm told me).

Goodluck

letsgetitstarted

Postby letsgetitstarted » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Last edited by letsgetitstarted on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:15 pm

ADDENDUM--GPA

you don't need the caps. "Addendum - GPA" should be fine. I'd ordinarly say not to send one, but you'll need to explain the gap in your school years anyway so you might as well highlight the changes in GPA. I'd say this is fine. good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”