Submitting additional writing samples? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SteveIP

New

Submitting additional writing samples?

Post by SteveIP » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm

I have several additional writing samples I'd like to submit to the law schools, as a single package in a pdf file. For example, I've already worked for a law firm (as a patent agent) and have sample briefs I drafted and signed on for submission to the U.S. Patent Office. I'd like to submit one of those, along with one or two other brief, pertinent samples.

Will the law schools appreciate the additional material, or do they not want to see that? And does the LSAC web-based application system have some option to upload supplemental materials?

Thanks in advance for the reply(s).

Steve

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Submitting additional writing samples?

Post by tourdeforcex » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:27 pm

so from this thread, my question has been answered.

i think there will be some school that appreciates the additional material. worst case, they just disregard it and think that you're trying too hard. but that's worst case. if your stuff is legit, they should be impressed.

the LSAC web-based application system does have an option to upload supplemental materials. it is labeled: "Upload Additional Documents"

question for you: what is your dream school? and target?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Read the instructions. Some schools say they are willing to accept "any additional materials." If so it would be up to you what other things you feel like submitting. If they don't then I would advise you not to ignore their directions.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:56 pm

I would definitely advise against it.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Knockglock wrote:I would definitely advise against it.
Agreed. Law schools won't really care how well your legal writing is when they are going to teach it to you anyways.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:37 pm

DONT SEND IT.

They don't want to read it and it makes you look bad. Your PS is your place to show off your writing ability. Adcomms hate this [i've been told in person how they can't stand when writing samples end up in their stack of applications]

if you really want to let them know about the briefs, then mention that you wrote them in your resume [and if you reallly insist, you could add (available upon request)]

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”