Submitting additional reference letters?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SteveIP

Submitting additional reference letters?

Postby SteveIP » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:43 pm

If a law school only asks for two or three reference letters, can you submit an additional reference letter or two? I've actually asked for four reference letters, and I'd like to submit them all. Do the schools frown on this, or is this okay?

Also, specifically, can the additional letters be submitted through the LSAC web-based application system?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

tourdeforcex

Re: Submitting additional reference letters?

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:24 pm

steveIP, are you looking to break into IP?

if a school only asks for 2 or 3 LOR, you can submit an additional letter or two.

as for whether schools frown upon it, read the directions provided by the specific school. those who might frown would be those that write "While we do accept and review more than 2 letter of recommendation, please note that 2 letters of recommendation are sufficient." or something like that.

and the additional letters can be submitted through the LSAC web-based application system.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Schools have a minimum and a maximum. Don't ignore them and submit more than the maximum.

That being said, most schools have a recommended amount of LOR's they want and it seems advisable to follow their recommendation even if they are willing to take more.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:40 pm

SteveIP wrote:If a law school only asks for two or three reference letters, can you submit an additional reference letter or two? I've actually asked for four reference letters, and I'd like to submit them all. Do the schools frown on this, or is this okay?

Also, specifically, can the additional letters be submitted through the LSAC web-based application system?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

4 is almost always overboard. 3 is often overkill.

when choosing a letter, ask yourself if the letter says something material that isn't mentioned in your other letters. also ask yourself if the letters are speaking to a different side of you [i.e. 3/4 letters from an employer probably is repetitive]-- odds are that all 4 dont.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”