Is a LOR from a freshman year professor a bad idea?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wachtellmemore

Is a LOR from a freshman year professor a bad idea?

Postby wachtellmemore » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi there,

I'm applying to law school in the fall of 2011 (for class of 2015) was hoping you could provide me with admissions advice.

About me: I graduated from an Ivy in '08 and have been working at a public relations company since that time. I've also started a video production company. I have a 3.6 and am aiming for a 170 LSAT. My goal is to get into a top 10 school or receive a significant scholarship from a mid-ranked school (Brooklyn Law, Hastings, Pepperdine, etc).

The undergrad law admissions adviser at my university advised against getting a recommendation from a prof I had freshman year. She says he's too dated a reference. But this is the professor who knows me best and will likely write me the strongest LOR. Do you think I should get an LOR from him or do you agree my adviser?

Thanks for your time!

tourdeforcex

Re: Is a LOR from a freshman year professor a bad idea?

Postby tourdeforcex » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:11 pm

get the LOR from the professor.

i doubt AdComs would read the LOR from your professor, note the name and department. then go into your school transcript and check each course and wonder which of those courses he taught.

in the end, for LORs, it's all about getting the strongest, most personal, most candid evaluation as possible. if that prof is your best best, make it happen.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:58 pm

wachtellmemore wrote:Hi there,

I'm applying to law school in the fall of 2011 (for class of 2015) was hoping you could provide me with admissions advice.

About me: I graduated from an Ivy in '08 and have been working at a public relations company since that time. I've also started a video production company. I have a 3.6 and am aiming for a 170 LSAT. My goal is to get into a top 10 school or receive a significant scholarship from a mid-ranked school (Brooklyn Law, Hastings, Pepperdine, etc).

The undergrad law admissions adviser at my university advised against getting a recommendation from a prof I had freshman year. She says he's too dated a reference. But this is the professor who knows me best and will likely write me the strongest LOR. Do you think I should get an LOR from him or do you agree my adviser?

Thanks for your time!

Definitely get a LOR from that professor. If he knows you best then this is an easy decision. The reason why people may advise against getting a LOR from a freshman professor is that they might not remember you. But if they remember and know you well, then get one from him/her.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:06 pm

A LOR from a freshman year professor is not a bad idea.

wachtellmemore

Postby wachtellmemore » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks a lot, guys. This is very helpful.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:18 pm

wachtellmemore wrote:Thanks a lot, guys. This is very helpful.

yeah i agree with them. it would be dated if you got this LOR freshman year and just had it sitting in a drawer until now... but not if he wrote it now

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”