school deletes records after 3 years, what to do.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JenDarby

Diamond

school deletes records after 3 years, what to do....

Post by JenDarby » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:15 pm

I got into some average non academic trouble my first year in college. I genuinely don't remember if my punishment was just a sit down with the dean and a stern warning to shape up, or if I was on some sort of non academic probation or anything. I called my college, turns out their policy is to delete records after three years, so as it turns out they don't know either!

For the pretty universal question that asks if you've ever been on academic or non academic probation, should I feel safe in just answering no?

Knock

Platinum

Re: school deletes records after 3 years, what to do....

Post by Knock » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:22 pm

JenDarby wrote:I got into some average non academic trouble my first year in college. I genuinely don't remember if my punishment was just a sit down with the dean and a stern warning to shape up, or if I was on some sort of non academic probation or anything. I called my college, turns out their policy is to delete records after three years, so as it turns out they don't know either!

For the pretty universal question that asks if you've ever been on academic or non academic probation, should I feel safe in just answering no?
I would just say yes, it's not worth saying no. Saying yes won't hurt you at all. Just be really generic to the best you can remember, and note that records were deleted after three years by the school due to school policy.

bigwillie

New

Post by bigwillie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm in the same boat. I graduated last May, my undergrad deletes judicial records that don't involve suspension or expulsion after graduation. I had a similarly minor offense my freshman year. To be on the safe side I'm disclosing the event to the best of my memory.

Unfortunately this means I need Dean's Certifications for several of the schools I'm applying to. I asked my school and they said that they would just state that they have no record of any judicial infraction and that I graduated in good standing.

I figure the event is minor enough that it won't hurt me, so its best to err on the side of caution/honesty and just disclose in the case that it somehow does come up. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but what are you going to do.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Get the school to issue you an official letter stating that the records were destroyed, from student affairs or judicial. Then answer yes, write an addendum stating that the records were destroyed, and offer to send a copy of the letter to the law school if requested.

If the schools require deans certification you don't have to worry, if there is no record of it, then you are in good standing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigwillie

New

Post by bigwillie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Some schools don't ask if you were on probation just if you were subject to any disciplinary action, such as having to meet with a Resident Director or whatever. So the wording for some school's may let you get away with not disclosing it if you were not put on probation. In my case I was put on disciplinary probation for a semester, so I have to disclose either way.

The schools that I'm applying to that require the dean's certification are Cornell, Duke, USC, but there is a complete list of schools that require them in this thread:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=134140

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for that list! It was something minor, so I will just disclose it to the best of my ability on my applications.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:I got into some average non academic trouble my first year in college. I genuinely don't remember if my punishment was just a sit down with the dean and a stern warning to shape up, or if I was on some sort of non academic probation or anything. I called my college, turns out their policy is to delete records after three years, so as it turns out they don't know either!

id feel safe

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”