Addendum Critique

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rosem80

Addendum Critique

Postby Rosem80 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:16 pm

During my senior year in high school I went to community college while still taking high school classes and working full time. After high school graduation I joined the military. My addendum is explaining my break in college and my low grades.

From 1998-1999 I attended SPS Community College as a High School student through the Running Start program. At the time I was working over thirty hours a week, attending high school classes during the day and the college classes at night. I was not prepared for the amount of work that my college classes demanded and as a result my GPA suffered. After High School I decided that I needed to take a break from school and to save money for College and that is why I joined the army after graduation.

djjf39

Re: Addendum Critique

Postby djjf39 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:19 pm

OP, it is certainly short enough, but I am not sure your situation is addendum worthy. Mostly due to the fact that your incident seems to have occurred prior to being enrolled full time as a UG.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Rosem80

Postby Rosem80 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

I was under the impression that we needed to explain breaks in attendance?

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Rosem80 wrote:I was under the impression that we needed to explain breaks in attendance?

O.I.C Your running start program counts as a semester of UG, then you joined the military, then went back to UG and got a BA?

If so then, I would go with something like:

From 1998-1999 I attended SPS Community College as a High School student through the Running Start program. At the time I was working over thirty hours a week, attending high school classes during the day and the college classes at night. I was not prepared for the amount of work that my college classes demanded. After High School I decided that I needed to take a break from school to save money for College, which is why I joined the army after graduation instead of continuing college immediately.

OP, sticking in some more dates might not hurt. Originally I thought you were writing a combo addendum for GPA and interruption in course-work.

Keep the following two points in mind:

1. Addenda should be short and sweet; keep the info pithy and the message upbeat (if possible)

2. Remember that your addendum will be looked at for information about you as a candidate as well as an auxiliary writing sample. (What you wrote originally was spot on, IMO, in terms of length, but just a little confusing content-wise)

Rosem80

Postby Rosem80 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Great rewrite, thank you!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”