Apply to job & law school at the same time?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goodcharles

Apply to job & law school at the same time?

Postby goodcharles » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm definitely applying to law schools this year. My dilemma is that, if I also start working from next spring, I am going to have to defer the law school enrollment for a year, since most "real" jobs would require at least a year of contract. I think working for a year and waiting out for the legal job market turn around by the time I enter law school would be a decent idea. Assuming that I get a job within few months, will the job contract a sufficient reason for deferring enrollment? I know some fellowships and programs like TFA are valid reasons for deferment, but would other ordinary jobs provide the valid reason for deferment?

Apple Tree

Re: Apply to job & law school at the same time?

Postby Apple Tree » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:50 pm

I think it depends on the school. I used my job as the reason for my deferral request and it was granted by UVA. Don't know about other schools.

Re: Apply to job & law school at the same time?

Postby 2014 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm sure if you wrote most schools and said that while you would love to attend their school and are willing to commit, you need an extra year to earn money to finance your education, they would be fine with it. Your commitment helps them hedge against unknown factors that might hurt their class the next year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”