LSAC GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

LSAC GPA

Postby swtlilsoni » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:23 am

So the LSAC gpa is supposed to generalize the gpa calculations so that it is equal for everyone. Thus, a student that goes to a school that counts A+s as 4.0 will not be at a disadvantage to a student from a school that counts A+s as 4.3. This is because LSAC will generalize all A+s to 4.3.

HOWEVER what if a school counts A+s as 4.0 AND just marks them as A in the transcript. My school does not differentiate between A+ and A because they are both counted as 4.0 anyway! I have received many A+s which were just counted as As.

QuailMan
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby QuailMan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:15 am

How do you know you got A+ if it wasnt on your transcript.

In any case, for the purposes of LSAC, you don't go to a school that issues A+s. Yup, that's unfair. Too bad, sorry.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:27 am

LSAC sees A on your transcript -> you get 4.00
LSAC sees A+ on your transcript -> you get 4.33 (which you can't)

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby swtlilsoni » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:31 am

im_blue wrote:LSAC sees A on your transcript -> you get 4.00
LSAC sees A+ on your transcript -> you get 4.33 (which you can't)


But thats not fair because it was my schools decision to mark A+s as As. I actually got A+s in several classes but the school marked them as As because they do not differentiate.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby Arbiter213 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:32 am

swtlilsoni wrote:So the LSAC gpa is supposed to generalize the gpa calculations so that it is equal for everyone. Thus, a student that goes to a school that counts A+s as 4.0 will not be at a disadvantage to a student from a school that counts A+s as 4.3. This is because LSAC will generalize all A+s to 4.3.

HOWEVER what if a school counts A+s as 4.0 AND just marks them as A in the transcript. My school does not differentiate between A+ and A because they are both counted as 4.0 anyway! I have received many A+s which were just counted as As.


Whine whine whine whine whine. My school doesn't even offer A+s. Suck it up.

User avatar
pinkzeppelin
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby pinkzeppelin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:32 am

.
Last edited by pinkzeppelin on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:34 am

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby swtlilsoni » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:38 am

Eh, I could. All I'm saying is the whole POINT of standardizing GPAs is to make things 'fair', but it's actually making it unfair. If they care about fairness so much, don't you think they'd care about this flaw?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:46 am

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby im_blue » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:57 am

swtlilsoni wrote:
im_blue wrote:LSAC sees A on your transcript -> you get 4.00
LSAC sees A+ on your transcript -> you get 4.33 (which you can't)


But thats not fair because it was my schools decision to mark A+s as As. I actually got A+s in several classes but the school marked them as As because they do not differentiate.

So take it up with your school. They're the ones acting unfairly because of their decision to not put A+ on transcripts. LSAC is, in fact, acting fairly because every A gets 4.00 and every A+ gets 4.33. Should LSAC get into the business of telling UGs what letter grades they should or should not put on their own transcripts?

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby swtlilsoni » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:01 am

im_blue wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:
im_blue wrote:LSAC sees A on your transcript -> you get 4.00
LSAC sees A+ on your transcript -> you get 4.33 (which you can't)


But thats not fair because it was my schools decision to mark A+s as As. I actually got A+s in several classes but the school marked them as As because they do not differentiate.

So take it up with your school. They're the ones acting unfairly because of their decision to not put A+ on transcripts. LSAC is, in fact, acting fairly because every A gets 4.00 and every A+ gets 4.33. Should LSAC get into the business of telling UGs what letter grades they should or should not put on their own transcripts?


That's true. I was thinking of talking to them about it. You think its pointless though?

User avatar
CSCS Trainer
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:37 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby CSCS Trainer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 am

I transferred from a university that gave only A/B/C/D/F to one that gave +/-. So a 90% at school #1 was an A, while a 90% at school #2 was an A-. I also had some professors that required a 95% for an A and some that required 92%. Same thing with my graduate degree, every professor graded differently, A's ranged from 90% - 95% depending on the professor. Just the way it goes - not a fault of LSAC.

gambelda
Posts: 300
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:44 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby gambelda » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:32 am

Reading this post just makes me angry. you're whining about the most smallest thing imaginable. Don't you have getting a good LSAT score to worry about like the rest of us? Or the interminable debt 95% of us face?

I get the same feeling from this thread that I do when I read "I'm a URM with a 4.0 GPA and a 175 LSAT, what are my chances at Harvard?"

Reading those always make me want to just punch the first person I see

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby swtlilsoni » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:48 am

CSCS
That's true. I see your point.

gamb,
I'm sorry you have many things to worry about. Just because I am fortunate in some areas, doesn't mean the others don't matter. It's all about boosting your chances, and I've seen people do that even with things like deciding whether to ED which may or may not help at all. Every little thing counts. This thread wasn't meant to be a complaint. It is actually a constructive thread about attempting to fix a problem.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, bleakchimera2, brewpub16, Justtrying2help, poptart123, proteinshake, Thomas Hagan, ESQ. and 22 guests