LOR question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pinkedelweiss

LOR question

Postby pinkedelweiss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi everyone, so my question is whether or not it's a good idea to ask my professors for a LOR through email??
I ask because it's hard to find them, I go to a big research university and they have office hours, but I feel weird just showing up at their office and taking up their time to ask them for a LOR. I feel like it will be easier if done through email. What do you think?

im_blue

Re: LOR question

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:38 pm

You should ask in person so you can gauge their enthusiasm for writing you a LOR.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:38 pm

Grow a pair. Show up and ask.

pinkedelweiss

Postby pinkedelweiss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 pm

im_blue wrote:You should ask in person so you can gauge their enthusiasm for writing you a LOR.

Oh I don't think it matters in my case, I am not even sure the professors will remember me :roll: I am just hoping they will decide to be nice people and write me a recommendation anyway because I can't apply without one.
I don't think I really talked to any professors, just turned in assignments and that's it, so I doubt they will remember me.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 pm

pinkedelweiss wrote:
im_blue wrote:You should ask in person so you can gauge their enthusiasm for writing you a LOR.

Oh I don't think it matters in my case, I am not even sure the professors will remember me :roll: I am just hoping they will decide to be nice people and write me a recommendation anyway because I can't apply without one.
I don't think I really talked to any professors, just turned in assignments and that's it, so I doubt they will remember me.

All the more reason to sweet talk them in person. If they don't even know your name, it's going to take about one second to delete your e-mail.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:49 pm

I barely knew one of the profs that I asked and still got one.

A lot of people will often ignore a random email they get from someone they don't know. At least showing up will get you a response of yes or no and will make it more likely that they say yes. An email reeks of laziness.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:49 pm

im_blue wrote:
pinkedelweiss wrote:

All the more reason to sweet talk them in person. If they don't even know your name, it's going to take about one second to delete your e-mail.

+2

pinkedelweiss

Postby pinkedelweiss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks you guys convinced me :D I thought it was so awful that I don't have professors who I know remember me but it's good to know I'm not the only one!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”