Starting a new journal: feasible?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CGI Fridays

Starting a new journal: feasible?

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:16 pm

U Mich has freaking amazing faculty for a focus in Environmental Law, but no environmental law journal (which UVA has).

Would it be feasible to start one?

If so, could I put this intention/hope in my "Why U Mich" essay without sounding like an unsatisfied tool?
Last edited by CGI Fridays on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shooter

Re: Starting a new journal: feasible?

Postby Shooter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 pm

This is a very good question. Unfortunately, I am not in any way qualified to answer it.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Bump?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:11 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:U Mich has freaking amazing faculty for a focus in Environmental Law,

I'd probably just leave it at this for a "Why MI" essay - you've clearly done your research and you're clearly enthusiastic. Saying you'd like to start a journal is maybe putting the cart before the horse.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:13 pm

ahduth wrote:I'd probably just leave it at this for a "Why MI" essay - you've clearly done your research and you're clearly enthusiastic. Saying you'd like to start a journal is maybe putting the cart before the horse.

Ok, you're prolly right for the application. It's at least safer.

However, the feasibility of doing this would strongly impact my choice between U Mich & UVA (if I'm blessed with that decision).

If not feasible, UVA; if feasible, U Mich.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:15 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:U Mich has freaking amazing faculty for a focus in Environmental Law, but no environmental law journal (which UVA has).

Would it be feasible to start one? If so, could I put this intention/hope in my "Why U Mich" essay without sounding like an unsatisfied tool?

I don't think you should put it in your Why Mich. However, I know a 3L who's very interested in this type of work who told me that he wouldn't be surprised if something is in the works now to get one off the ground (and that Uhlmann might be involved in the startup). I have no idea how much any of this is true, so it might just be a rumor. /clueless 1L

bleaker

Postby bleaker » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Journals tend to be money-losers for schools, especially secondary journals. I haven't seen the numbers for myself, but I've been told the only journals that operate in the black are the four ivies that produce the Bluebook--and it's largely because of Bluebook royalties, not journal circulation.

If your journal were to be totally online, a school might go for it. Otherwise, in this age of budget cuts, I can't see a school being super excited to start a secondary journal.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”