Questions on submitting apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
christinalsat

Questions on submitting apps

Postby christinalsat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am

I'm a little confused what to do about the signature field that is in all my applications. Since it's electronic, do we just type in our names instead? I think that's what the lsac website suggests, but kind of ambiguous:

What are electronic signatures and certification letters?
Electronic signatures are a certification by you that may be used in lieu of a written signature. By taking some action, such as clicking a button or typing your name, you are electronically certifying a document you would physically sign if it were on paper. Some schools will not accept electronic signatures; these schools use certification letters that you must print out and sign physically. Once you click Continue after previewing the application, the options and requirements for that school will appear on the following screen. Make your selections from the available options. There will be a link to the certification letter only if one is required for that school. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete your application transmission process.

Also, in my shopping cart, all my applications include a fee, though I've already received several email fee waivers from these schools. Are the fee waivers something that show up later in the process?

Hawkeye Pierce

Re: Questions on submitting apps

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:00 am

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks! On the fee attached to my application, it's the $12 + the schools' app. fee -- starting at $75. So far I've only started working on four applications -- received fee waivers from two of them (NYU and Georgetown) and neither are showing up. Haven't clicked "submit" yet though, so not sure if it's something that shows up later.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:16 am

christinalsat wrote:Thanks! On the fee attached to my application, it's the $12 + the schools' app. fee -- starting at $75. So far I've only started working on four applications -- received fee waivers from two of them (NYU and Georgetown) and neither are showing up. Haven't clicked "submit" yet though, so not sure if it's something that shows up later.

I'm a little confused about how far along you are in the process. In your original post you say you have the applications all the way to your shopping cart, which means you clicked "Preview" to review the preview PDF of the entire application package, and you clicked "Submit." You should see the fee waivers at that point.

If you haven't done that step yet though, you won't see the fee waivers.

Also know that some of the signature fields DON'T have a space to write your name. Don't be confused if this happens.

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:26 am

You're right, sorry about the confusion. The applications aren't actually in my shopping cart. I see the fee when I click into "active applications." So the fee waivers will presumably show up when I move them to my cart?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeah. I remember I had these same questions too. After you think you're all ready to go with your application, you click "Continue" on the active application page and then have the ability to preview your application package. When you like it, you then click "Submit."

That's when you'll see the application fee waiver. LSAC will tell you how much it's charging you ($87, say, or $12) and it'll make you click a checkbox saying you proofread your application and that it's not their fault if you effed it up royally. Click that and click submit again (or whatever it says), and you're sent back to the active applications page. Now the application is done and placed in your shopping cart. That's when you get out your credit card and pay.

Does that help you know what to expect now?

christinalsat

Postby christinalsat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Yes, thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”