I need some help

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which law school should I attend?

Duke
85%
UNC
8%
Wake
No votes
Campbell
8%
NCCU
No votes

Total votes: 13

MrThomasFT3

I need some help

Postby MrThomasFT3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:14 am

I am an AA Male with a 3.87 Undergrad GPA from a small private institution, a Master's of Public Administration from UNC and a couple of years of federal government work experience in Labor and Employee Relations. I would like to work for a private firm or the federal government as an attorney. I've toyed with the option back in forth whether to go to law school full-time or part-time.

I'm considering Duke, UNC, Wake, North Carolina Central and Campbell for law school. The reputation of Duke, UNC, and Wake are well documented. The problem is I've heard a lot of good things about NCCU and Campbell, but then there is the downside of them being T4 schools. Additionally, NCCU's grading curve might be the worst out of any law school in the country. However, NCCU is the only school in the area that has a night program.

I'm wondering how much the six (6) years of experience in Labor and Employee Relations will assist me when I'm looking for jobs if I graduate from NCCU and if its worth continuing to work and go to school part-time at a T4 school or if it would be better to go to a better school on a full-time basis.

Obviously some of this depends on my LSAT score (which I'll find out on Friday ::crossing fingers::). I'm losing my mind trying to figure out the best course of action.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

CGI Fridays

Re: I need some help

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:06 am

Range for LSAT?

MrThomasFT3

Postby MrThomasFT3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:08 am

Probably 155-160

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Sorry, I don't know much about that range. Have you discovered http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/ yet?

Did you study your ass off for the test? Was that your peak performance?

MrThomasFT3

Postby MrThomasFT3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:55 pm

For me the score is not the issue. The main issue is where to go and what to do given my situation.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Your main issue is incredibly dependent on what you're not acknowledging is a big issue.

Did you go to that site? Have you spent a bajillion hours on it yet? 'cause you should.

Search by user, select your GPA range & be sure to select "URM".
You'll note as you browse users' cycles that your LSAT score is the biggest issue of all.

MrThomasFT3

Postby MrThomasFT3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:32 pm

I've spent time on that site previously. I mean obviously at 155 won't get me into Duke but I will probably be strongly considered for UNC. For me though that's not the point, I'm asking what to do. If i get the appropriate LSAT score would it be more beneficial to stop working and go to school full time or should I continue to work for the federal government and attend NCCU's evening program. When i finish i'll have 6 years of federal experience and a law degree. I'm just trying to figure out if having that 6 years federal experience with a law degree from NCCU will assist me in competing with folks coming out of UNC.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm

A bajillion years WE won't stack up to someone who went to a T14.
You want to work for a private firm or the gov... assuming by "private firm" you don't mean doc review at $10/hour, your LSAT will make more difference than work experience.

Your school & rank will get you an interview, your work experience & interviewing skills will help you get the job. They won't do much good without the interview.

MrThomasFT3

Postby MrThomasFT3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 pm

You're welcome.
Good jobs can def be snagged from a T 100 school, but you need to be at the very tippy top of your class. As the rank drops it quickly becomes top 5%-ish to have a legit shot at biglaw. Not sure with gov jobs.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:45 pm

MrThomasFT3 wrote:For me the score is not the issue. The main issue is where to go and what to do given my situation.

Is there any reason you're not considering higher-ranked schools? If you bring your score up into the 163-165 range you've got a good shot at HLS.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:25 pm

fatduck wrote:
MrThomasFT3 wrote:For me the score is not the issue. The main issue is where to go and what to do given my situation.

Is there any reason you're not considering higher-ranked schools? If you bring your score up into the 163-165 range you've got a good shot at HLS.

id say closer to 166 - 170, but sounds like he wants to stay in North Carolina.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 pm

etown989 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

id say closer to 166 - 170, but sounds like he wants to stay in North Carolina.

Fair enough, just wanted to make sure he knew the full range of his options. An AA friend of mine was recently accepted to Harvard (163, 3.9) and LSN has numerous other examples in that range.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”