If I ran a law school...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
InLikeFlint

If I ran a law school...

Postby InLikeFlint » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:08 am

I would cut costs anywhere possible to vastly reduce how much tuition the school relies on to operate. Next, I wouldn't actually change the tuition listed, but offer every accepted student a scholarship (by whatever margin you could reduce costs). By competing based on price, a school could absolutely get much higher quality students, then rise in the rankings, then ???, then PROFIT.

Why hasn't anyone thought of this?

im_blue

Re: If I ran a law school...

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:09 am

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:12 am

A lot of them have, although they may not have cut costs to the fullest extent possible because of donor restrictions and such. (In other words, if you have $50 million for a new building, you build one hell of a nice new building. You can't use it for other purposes.)

Think WUSTL, the king of big scholarships and buying their way to the top. (And no, I'm not hating on WUSTL. I love them; I went there for UG. But they do like buying their students... and that's how they got to number 19.)

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:21 am

im_blue wrote:http://www.law.uci.edu/

/thread

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:31 am

theantiscalia wrote:A lot of them have, although they may not have cut costs to the fullest extent possible because of donor restrictions and such. (In other words, if you have $50 million for a new building, you build one hell of a nice new building. You can't use it for other purposes.)

Think WUSTL, the king of big scholarships and buying their way to the top. (And no, I'm not hating on WUSTL. I love them; I went there for UG. But they do like buying their students... and that's how they got to number 19.)

Touche, but why aren't moar schools doing this if it has been so effective for WUSTL?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:11 am

... I'd be rich.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:13 am

InLikeFlint wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:A lot of them have, although they may not have cut costs to the fullest extent possible because of donor restrictions and such. (In other words, if you have $50 million for a new building, you build one hell of a nice new building. You can't use it for other purposes.)

Touche, but why aren't moar schools doing this if it has been so effective for WUSTL?

Maybe they don't have the money? One has to wonder though how much longer Wash U can keep this up. I mean, their NLJ placement numbers are kind of....abysmal. Vanderbilt is 48%. USC is in the mid 30's. GW is 30%. Even Fordham is 30%. Wash is at a lackluster 27%.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:27 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”