.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
idfatq
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

.

Postby idfatq » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:26 pm

.
Last edited by idfatq on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby rayiner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:27 pm

idfatq wrote:I work less than 10 hrs/wk at my job, but it's my only job and I feel the law schools would consider it more legit if i was there full time (hence the distinction between full time and part time in the common info form). i'm close w/ my boss and he'd be willing to just say that i'm there longer if LSAC or a law school decided to call to confirm (which i doubt they do anyway). what are the risks in just saying i'm there 30 hrs instead of 40? btw does it HAVE to be over 40hrs/wk for me to put it in the full time portion?


This is a great yeah to get C&F pwned.

lshamlet
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby lshamlet » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 pm

i think that's a really, really stupid risk to take. i'm too paranoid to even fudge my hours by one or two, much less TWENTY.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby AP-375 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Wow. What can I blatantly lie about in my application?

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Not worth it. I think work experience is a very small soft (except at Northwestern), and not being admitted to the bar is a huge risk.

Also, schools don't actually get the Common Info form. That's just there to save you time; LSAC fills in some of your applications automatically based on that information.

dougroberts
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby dougroberts » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:38 pm

idfatq wrote:I work less than 10 hrs/wk at my job, but it's my only job and I feel the law schools would consider it more legit if i was there full time (hence the distinction between full time and part time in the common info form). i'm close w/ my boss and he'd be willing to just say that i'm there longer if LSAC or a law school decided to call to confirm (which i doubt they do anyway). what are the risks in just saying i'm there 30 hrs instead of 40? btw does it HAVE to be over 40hrs/wk for me to put it in the full time portion?



People like you should not be lawyers. This is a prime example of an unethical and immoral applicant to the bar. You do know that you will have to report any discrepancies when you take the bar exam?

Actually, it would be funny if you did lie and got into law school, then were denied application to the bar to practice and therefore wasted $100K. I'm sorry idfatq, but you are an embarrassment to the practice of law, and to whatever TTTT that you get into.

idfatq
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby idfatq » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:38 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Not worth it. I think work experience is a very small soft (except at Northwestern), and not being admitted to the bar is a huge risk.

Also, schools don't actually get the Common Info form. That's just there to save you time; LSAC fills in some of your applications automatically based on that information.


ah, if this is the case, might as well just leave the hr/wk blank? the school i'm applying to doesn't seem to ask for the hours in the section where my work experience is filled in.

etown989
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby etown989 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 pm

For a job to count as a "soft" I believe they are looking for more salary or legal field intern type jobs. If this is a customer service/ lifeguarding/ and other hourly wage job schools will simply check off that you are not just sitting on your ass at all times and move on.

All do you guys really think the C & F report tracks down your old jobs... goes through all pay stubs... finds your exact hours worked... then compares that to all your applications for a discrepancy of 10 hours that can simply be attributed to the guy overestimating. :roll:
Last edited by etown989 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idfatq
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby idfatq » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:42 pm

dougroberts wrote:
idfatq wrote:I work less than 10 hrs/wk at my job, but it's my only job and I feel the law schools would consider it more legit if i was there full time (hence the distinction between full time and part time in the common info form). i'm close w/ my boss and he'd be willing to just say that i'm there longer if LSAC or a law school decided to call to confirm (which i doubt they do anyway). what are the risks in just saying i'm there 30 hrs instead of 40? btw does it HAVE to be over 40hrs/wk for me to put it in the full time portion?



People like you should not be lawyers. This is a prime example of an unethical and immoral applicant to the bar. You do know that you will have to report any discrepancies when you take the bar exam?

Actually, it would be funny if you did lie and got into law school, then were denied application to the bar to practice and therefore wasted $100K. I'm sorry idfatq, but you are an embarrassment to the practice of law, and to whatever TTTT that you get into.


guess the answer is an emphatic NO, don't fudge the hrs/wk. thanks for the opinions, yall might have saved me 100k! lol

good luck w/ all your apps.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby fatduck » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 pm

idfatq wrote:
dougroberts wrote:
idfatq wrote:I work less than 10 hrs/wk at my job, but it's my only job and I feel the law schools would consider it more legit if i was there full time (hence the distinction between full time and part time in the common info form). i'm close w/ my boss and he'd be willing to just say that i'm there longer if LSAC or a law school decided to call to confirm (which i doubt they do anyway). what are the risks in just saying i'm there 30 hrs instead of 40? btw does it HAVE to be over 40hrs/wk for me to put it in the full time portion?



People like you should not be lawyers. This is a prime example of an unethical and immoral applicant to the bar. You do know that you will have to report any discrepancies when you take the bar exam?

Actually, it would be funny if you did lie and got into law school, then were denied application to the bar to practice and therefore wasted $100K. I'm sorry idfatq, but you are an embarrassment to the practice of law, and to whatever TTTT that you get into.


guess the answer is an emphatic NO, don't fudge the hrs/wk. thanks for the opinions, yall might have saved me 100k! lol

good luck w/ all your apps.


softs aren't that important, LSAT matters a lot more. make a friend at LSAC to hook you up with a 180, it'd be worth a lot more

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby Teoeo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:59 pm

1. Way to memorialize this on the internet.
2. Way to be a complete douche, do you have any standards?
3. Terrible idea, you get like 0 benefit from it and are risking a lot.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby JazzOne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:01 pm

Don't worry, OP. Lots of lawyers fudge their billing hours too. It's a time-honored tradition, and the bar will love it.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby 12262010 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:02 pm

this sounds like a fantastic idea.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:22 pm

I mean mine is fudged a little but at least there is some argument for what I put. I'm and RA so I do technically spend 20 hrs a week working that job (a little more actually)... it's just a solid 12 of them are when I'm on call in my room (read sleeping). ---- Edited for this:

1. Way to memorialize this on the internet.


Still, straight up lying isn't the way to go.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5832
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:45 pm

When I clicked this thread I thought it was going to be someone scheduled for like 19 hours a week but wanted to list 20 because it looks better...

But TRIPLING your hours? That is downright awful. If you do that I honestly hope it comes up in C&F.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby ajmanyjah » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:21 pm

I did. It certainly seemed like not much of a lie...considering it was lab work and most times I was getting paid 15 hrs/wk for 30-35 hrs/wk of work

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:32 pm

No man, if you want to round the number off, go ahead, but don't triple it.

User avatar
fragged
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby fragged » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Put that you worked 169 hours per week.

Considering there are only 168 hours in a week, this will be sure to impress the admissions committee.

7ED
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby 7ED » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:01 pm

You know I would really laugh if the admissions committee read this post and managed to tie the OP to the application.

GG.

User avatar
predent/prelaw
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby predent/prelaw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:59 pm

etown989 wrote:For a job to count as a "soft" I believe they are looking for more salary or legal field intern type jobs. If this is a customer service/ lifeguarding/ and other hourly wage job schools will simply check off that you are not just sitting on your ass at all times and move on.

All do you guys really think the C & F report tracks down your old jobs... goes through all pay stubs... finds your exact hours worked... then compares that to all your applications for a discrepancy of 10 hours that can simply be attributed to the guy overestimating. :roll:


I concur most of the blowhards on here have not worked a day in their lives and if your boss will back you put it down no one can argue with the business owner on what time you came in and out of the office (paid or unpaid) and this is not the NSA they are not going to require a business to send in its pay stubs from years ago because if they did most business owners would tell them to go f themselves

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby HBK » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:17 pm

predent/prelaw wrote:
etown989 wrote:For a job to count as a "soft" I believe they are looking for more salary or legal field intern type jobs. If this is a customer service/ lifeguarding/ and other hourly wage job schools will simply check off that you are not just sitting on your ass at all times and move on.

All do you guys really think the C & F report tracks down your old jobs... goes through all pay stubs... finds your exact hours worked... then compares that to all your applications for a discrepancy of 10 hours that can simply be attributed to the guy overestimating. :roll:


I concur most of the blowhards on here have not worked a day in their lives and if your boss will back you put it down no one can argue with the business owner on what time you came in and out of the office (paid or unpaid) and this is not the NSA they are not going to require a business to send in its pay stubs from years ago because if they did most business owners would tell them to go f themselves


I agree with part of your statement. As someone who has worked since he was 16 and spent 4 years out of school in a salaried position, it really boggles my mind how little my fellow 1Ls know about how businesses work.

Anyway, if your boss isn't working there in when the bar does its research, you risk getting screwed by HR.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby fatduck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:29 pm

HBK wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:
etown989 wrote:For a job to count as a "soft" I believe they are looking for more salary or legal field intern type jobs. If this is a customer service/ lifeguarding/ and other hourly wage job schools will simply check off that you are not just sitting on your ass at all times and move on.

All do you guys really think the C & F report tracks down your old jobs... goes through all pay stubs... finds your exact hours worked... then compares that to all your applications for a discrepancy of 10 hours that can simply be attributed to the guy overestimating. :roll:


I concur most of the blowhards on here have not worked a day in their lives and if your boss will back you put it down no one can argue with the business owner on what time you came in and out of the office (paid or unpaid) and this is not the NSA they are not going to require a business to send in its pay stubs from years ago because if they did most business owners would tell them to go f themselves


Anyway, if your boss isn't working there in when the bar does its research, you risk getting screwed by HR.


Good point. Or how about this: DON'T BE A FUCKING LIAR. I guess that sentiment makes me a blowhard who has never worked a day in his life...

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 pm

It all depends on a few things.

What is the position you're working at?
What is your LSAT?
What is your GPA?
What is your LSAC number?

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby HBK » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 pm

fatduck wrote:
Good point. Or how about this: DON'T BE A FUCKING LIAR. I guess that sentiment makes me a blowhard who has never worked a day in his life...


I agree. However, since the OP isn't big on morals, I was explaining a risk to him. I guess we should have all kept our mouths shut and let him waste $100K, only to get pwned by C&F.

edited for quotation fail.
Last edited by HBK on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Anyone ever fudge the hrs/wk of your employment??

Postby 12262010 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:42 pm

I don't see why you'd lie about something that probably doesn't matter in admissions at schools that aren't Northwestern.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests