LSAT cancellation from illness -- addendum worthy?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jwmalone87

LSAT cancellation from illness -- addendum worthy?

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:55 pm

If you're applying to schools that take into consideration all LSATs, is it worth it to write a brief addendum explaining my cancel was due to illness? (it was)

Counting the Oct cancellation, I will also have a June score and a December score. I feel like a brief write-up about said illness might explain away any doubts they have about why I've taken the LSAT so many times.

(btw: sorry if this topic has been addressed. I searched and didn't find anything)

txadv11

Re: LSAT cancellation from illness -- addendum worthy?

Postby txadv11 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:00 am

If you don't mind me asking, what is the difference in score between your two actual LSAT's? If you don't have a good reason (like I wasn't prepared) then I wouldn't. However, if you had a 154 and then got a 164 and were battling illness on the first, and the cancellation, then you could probably use addendum.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:39 pm

I got a 158 in June and am still waiting to take in December. I just took October, though, and that's the one I canceled due to illness. I'm wondering if I should be addressing that October test in the addendum?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:18 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:I got a 158 in June and am still waiting to take in December. I just took October, though, and that's the one I canceled due to illness. I'm wondering if I should be addressing that October test in the addendum?

If you going to choose to write an addendum then YES I would include explanations for all LSATs. I am in the same situation, Bad score 9-2009, absent 12-2009, hopefully decent 10-2010. I am writing an addendum to SOME schools explaining 18 hours of upper level courses, a parent battling cancer, and a rare illness of my own are partiality to blame for my head not being on straight 9-2009. I decided not to risk 12-2009 and go ahead and wait until after graduation and illnesses were over...and therefore took 10-10 with a (hopefully much) better score. This advice is debated by many people. Another person may tell you do not write any addendum for your situation... I think it really depends on the difference in score, and the school's preference.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:41 pm

I wouldn't bother. I didn't write an addendum for my cancellation and my cycle went exactly as expected.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”