Should I really write an addendum for this?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
operaphantom2003
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:40 pm

Should I really write an addendum for this?

Postby operaphantom2003 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:41 pm

I went to the pre-law adviser at my university and they looked over my transcripts, personal statement, resume, etc and then made this comment:

"You should write an addendum explaining that Prof. X does not award A's to undergraduate students"

The professor mentioned teaches only mixed classes (undergrad and grad students) and caps the max grade as a B for undergraduate students. I have had 5 classes with him both in my major and as electives.

I just don't see why a law school would care if he caps his grades lower than an A.

Would you write an addendum?

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Should I really write an addendum for this?

Postby sarahh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:45 pm

operaphantom2003 wrote:I just don't see why a law school would care if he caps his grades lower than an A.


I don't either. I personally would not write it.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Should I really write an addendum for this?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:54 pm

operaphantom2003 wrote:I went to the pre-law adviser at my university and they looked over my transcripts, personal statement, resume, etc and then made this comment:

"You should write an addendum explaining that Prof. X does not award A's to undergraduate students"

The professor mentioned teaches only mixed classes (undergrad and grad students) and caps the max grade as a B for undergraduate students. I have had 5 classes with him both in my major and as electives.

I just don't see why a law school would care if he caps his grades lower than an A.

Would you write an addendum?


Why would you take five undergraduate classes with someone who does not award undergraduate A's?

operaphantom2003
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Should I really write an addendum for this?

Postby operaphantom2003 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Because 1 was in my major and 4 were in my minor. He really is a good professor just has a warped grading policy.

vsl89
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 am

Re: Should I really write an addendum for this?

Postby vsl89 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:30 pm

sarahhope82 wrote:
operaphantom2003 wrote:I just don't see why a law school would care if he caps his grades lower than an A.


I don't either. I personally would not write it.


+ 1

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Should I really write an addendum for this?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:39 pm

operaphantom2003 wrote:Because 1 was in my major and 4 were in my minor. He really is a good professor just has a warped grading policy.


I would be wary of anyone with that policy, regardless of how good a professor they are.

Would you have gotten A's from this man if not for his grading policy? If so, it may be worth a short explanation given you have a 3.1 GPA.

vsl89
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 am

Re: Should I really write an addendum for this?

Postby vsl89 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:49 pm

The best situation for you would be if you could get a letter of rec. from this prof. He would probably mention how his Bs were only b/c yu were an undergrad.

User avatar
saltoftheearth
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: Should I really write an addendum for this?

Postby saltoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:11 pm

vsl89 wrote:The best situation for you would be if you could get a letter of rec. from this prof. He would probably mention how his Bs were only b/c yu were an undergrad.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests