Incorporating a Why X into a PS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jfb

Incorporating a Why X into a PS

Postby jfb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I have a finished PS that I will be sending to most schools, however, for one I am writing a separate PS which explains my desire to work in an area of law that they offer a concentration in. They have a pretty extensive course offering in this field and many outside of class activities which I could mention in a why X essay. Since my PS is about this field of law, I think that I could add two or so paragraphs of Why X directly into the PS for this school (assuming I'm able to make if flow properly).

Any thoughts on this vs. leaving the "why" stuff out of the PS and writing a separate Why X essay.

r6_philly

Re: Incorporating a Why X into a PS

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:00 pm

I submitted integrated essays to all schools this year. I did not last cycle and was waitlisted by every school pretty much, and got accepted at the 1 of the 2 schools that I wrote a why X essay (they were required). I did apply at/after the deadlines though. I will know soon how this works out (sorry can't help you with anything definitive. If in doubt, write why x essays).

jfb

Postby jfb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks Philly. Any other thoughts??

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:57 pm

I have no special information on this... I can only speculate that it wouldn't matter much one way or another whether you add on to your PS or make it a separate statement. If putting it in a separate statement would give you more freedom (to make it longer, to not have to tie it back to your larger theme in ways that are awkward), that would be a reason to make it separate. Otherwise, I don't think it matters. But I'd be interested in knowing if others know differently, since I'm building Why X into the PS for each and every one of my 16 schools...

Perch

Postby Perch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I have no special information on this... I can only speculate that it wouldn't matter much one way or another whether you add on to your PS or make it a separate statement. If putting it in a separate statement would give you more freedom (to make it longer, to not have to tie it back to your larger theme in ways that are awkward), that would be a reason to make it separate. Otherwise, I don't think it matters. But I'd be interested in knowing if others know differently, since I'm building Why X into the PS for each and every one of my 16 schools...

I want to do this as well, time permitting...ugh I need this score back already

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:59 pm

jfb wrote:I have a finished PS that I will be sending to most schools, however, for one I am writing a separate PS which explains my desire to work in an area of law that they offer a concentration in. They have a pretty extensive course offering in this field and many outside of class activities which I could mention in a why X essay. Since my PS is about this field of law, I think that I could add two or so paragraphs of Why X directly into the PS for this school (assuming I'm able to make if flow properly).

Any thoughts on this vs. leaving the "why" stuff out of the PS and writing a separate Why X essay.

My general PS ends at a good point to pick up with Why X school is a good fit for me, so I write a one paragraph Why X for each school. For schools that ask for more, or which I feel like I need more space I just break it out into an addendum. I wouldn't write a PS that required this, although my guess is that it can only help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”