If one has ties to an area is T14 or regional school necessa Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Sandro

Gold

Re: If one has ties to an area is T14 or regional school necessa

Post by Sandro » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:35 pm

can someone clarify what "ties" are exactly?? It gets thrown around a lot but I've never seen it defined.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Sandro777 wrote:can someone clarify what "ties" are exactly?? It gets thrown around a lot but I've never seen it defined.
Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 pm

I mean, if you're graduating with no debt from either place and you do have connections/ties to Philadelphia and can explain to hiring partners why you want to work/return there, then I can easily see how Minnesota/BU/Illinois/T25 >>> Temple. I mean, I know the TLS mantra too (of T14 or best regional where you want to work), but Temple isn't even a T1 and is ranked in the 70s somewhere. UMN, BU, BC, Illinois, WUSTL are legit schools that have been T20s. Plus, if you decide you don't want to return to Philly then those schools provide you with at least some (albeit little) mobility. Temple has none.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:50 pm

For Philadelphia:

YHS > Penn > Rest of T14 > Temple > Villanova > Rutgers Camden > Widener > Drexel

Schools outside the region often don't come into play because Philly is not among the more desired markets.

I wonder, though, how better-ranked T1 schools from bordering regions would be considered. I know UMD, GWU, BU, and BC grads with good jobs in Philly, but this was a few years behind the recent economic crash. Would they be able to get Philly jobs now? (I ask because I'm applying to these schools, probably won't get into Penn, and want to remain in Philly).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”