Question about ED at UVA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
two_wheels_good

Question about ED at UVA

Postby two_wheels_good » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm sure this type of thing has been asked a million times, but just indulge me...

I'm thinking about applying to ED to UVA. It's my first choice, but I'm worried my numbers may not be up to RD standards. I'm wondering though, if I get accepted and don't get squat for scholarship money, does that mean I am committed to the $40k sticker as well? I couldn't find anything on their website that made that clear. I'm thinking yes, but just wanted to be sure before I do this.

Bumi

Re: Question about ED at UVA

Postby Bumi » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Yes. If you apply ED, you are committing to pay sticker. They do and have offered scholarship money to ED applicants before, but if you don't think you'd get in RD you probably aren't in the running for any of that.

If you really seriously want to try to cut the cost of law school with a scholarship, you need to avoid early decision.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 am

Then again, if you are borderline at UVA and want to cut the cost of attendance with a scholarship, you will probably have to avoid the T-20 also. Think schools in the 30-80 or so range in cities or areas you could see yourself living in, at least for a while.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 am

Tuition at UVA Law is actually closer to $50k. But yes, if you've committed to attend and you don't get a scholarship, that means you're paying sticker. What else could it mean? If scholarship money is important to you, then ED is the wrong choice.

Also, this post would be better with numbers.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 am

plenipotentiary wrote:Also, this post would be better with numbers.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:29 am

If you apply ED to UVA, you should be fully prepared to pay or borrow loans for the full $210k-$220k cost of attendance for 3 years. ED admits are considered for scholarship money but they should have very competitive numbers for RD. You cannot cancel the ED contract for financial reasons because anyone can "afford" it through loans.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 am

If you are accepted ED, then your options are to go there or not go to law school.

two_wheels_good

Postby two_wheels_good » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 am

plenipotentiary wrote:Tuition at UVA Law is actually closer to $50k.

Not when you're a Virginia resident.

plenipotentiary wrote: But yes, if you've committed to attend and you don't get a scholarship, that means you're paying sticker. What else could it mean? If scholarship money is important to you, then ED is the wrong choice.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks. I think I'll reconsider.

Also, this post would be better with numbers.

3.53 and I get my LSAT score on Friday, though I'm not sure it was relevant to my question. Yes, I know where that puts me compared to other applicants, which is why I was looking at ED as an option if it helps my chances. That's where my confusion was: it seems ED is used as a way to help someone's chances if they're on the bad side of the median, but then it would stand to reason that your chances of getting merit scholarships are pretty slim. I really want to go to UVA, but I'm not looking to cough up $40k/year for law school when there are other options.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”