Which Law School to choose????

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tdaniellep

Which Law School to choose????

Postby tdaniellep » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Which Law School do you think might be easier to get in or rather who is better out of:
1. Georgia State University
2. Florida State University
3. FAMU Law

fatduck

Re: Which Law School to choose????

Postby fatduck » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Do you want to work in Atlanta? Do you want to work in Florida? Do you have ties to either?

I would learn towards GSU because I've heard the Florida market is abysmal right now, and my mom graduated from GSU a couple years ago and has a good job. Otherwise it's probably a toss-up, and I hope you're going for cheap.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:35 pm

UF. Followed by FSU.

/thread.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 pm

FAMU is terrible. Just terrible. Grade doctoring and fen-phen give this place a miserable reputation.

GSU feeds a desirable, crowded market. However, if you want to work somewhere else in GA that's not Atlanta, it might be a good choice if you can go for really, really cheap.

FSU would probably be your best option here, but only if you can go for really cheap.

Postby 2014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Omg do I get to say it first???

Retake.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:45 pm

FSU>GSU>FAMU

That said, none of them have good employment prospects right now. If you're from Florida and want to practice here, UF is the best option if you can get in. After that, it's FSU unless you specifically want to work in Miami in which case go to UM, then everything else. As a Floridian (at FSU), it is pretty tempting to go to UF (or FSU) for law school since it's so dirt cheap (15 a year + low COL), but if you have any doubts about living in the gunshine state the rest of your life you might want to reconsider. Also, did I mention job prospects?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:48 pm

2014 wrote:Omg do I get to say it first???

Retake.

Damnit! I actually answered the question. amidoingitwrite?

But this advice is also very credited.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Retake.

Totally retake. Spending 150k on a T14 is TCR, especially when 40k at a T50 will give you a pretty good chance at finding gainful employment.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 pm

2011Law wrote:FSU>GSU>FAMU

That said, none of them have good employment prospects right now. If you're from Florida and want to practice here, UF is the best option if you can get in. After that, it's FSU unless you specifically want to work in Miami in which case go to UM, then everything else. As a Floridian (at FSU), it is pretty tempting to go to UF (or FSU) for law school since it's so dirt cheap (15 a year + low COL), but if you have any doubts about living in the gunshine state the rest of your life you might want to reconsider. Also, did I mention job prospects?

Reppin dat Trigger City all day every day.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Anybody that mentions FSU and UM without mentioning UF has to check themselves.

UF *is* the school, especially if you ever plan to do a Tax LLM.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Umm, I did mention UF

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:59 pm

2011Law wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Umm, I did mention UF

Then you didn't wreck yourself. Good job.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:59 pm

2011Law wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Umm, I did mention UF

I'm glad you caught that.

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:01 am

ResolutePear wrote:

Retake.

Totally retake. Spending 150k on a T14 is TCR, especially when 40k at a T50 will give you a pretty good chance at finding gainful employment.

1. Retake, get t14 numbers
2. Get Schollys at TTT and come out with no debt
3. ????
4. Profit

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:03 am

2014 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Retake.

1. Retake, get t14 numbers
2. Get Schollys at TTT Florida Coastal
3. ????
4. Death

FTFY.

tdaniellep

Postby tdaniellep » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:07 am

FAMU is the absolute last choice!!! Would love to go to FSU if you havent took a tour of the school you might want to...yes ive heard of UF and how great their school is...question....who can get into it? mini harvard! GSU was the next option since I would love to live in atlanta. I didnt see a problem going to FSU then taking the bar in GA...Atlanta is the land of opportunity...UM is indeed a good school but it doesnt make sense going there when I might not make it out with my life...ratchet surroundings!

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 am

tdaniellep wrote:ive heard of UF and how great their school is...question....who can get into it? mini harvard!

--ImageRemoved--

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

tdaniellep wrote:FAMU is the absolute last choice!!! Would love to go to FSU if you havent took a tour of the school you might want to...yes ive heard of UF and how great their school is...question....who can get into it? mini harvard! GSU was the next option since I would love to live in atlanta. I didnt see a problem going to FSU then taking the bar in GA...Atlanta is the land of opportunity...UM is indeed a good school but it doesnt make sense going there when I might not make it out with my life...ratchet surroundings!

lol wut UF is not mini Harvard that is absurd. Atlanta's gonna be tough; UGA would be a MUCH better option for Atlanta. FSU also isn't gonna do much work for you in Atlanta. Don't go to FSU hoping to work outside of FL. UM is not "ratchet surroundings," but it is hilariously overpriced for the job prospects you will have.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:16 am

rad law wrote:
tdaniellep wrote:FAMU is the absolute last choice!!! Would love to go to FSU if you havent took a tour of the school you might want to...yes ive heard of UF and how great their school is...question....who can get into it? mini harvard! GSU was the next option since I would love to live in atlanta. I didnt see a problem going to FSU then taking the bar in GA...Atlanta is the land of opportunity...UM is indeed a good school but it doesnt make sense going there when I might not make it out with my life...ratchet surroundings!

lol wut UF is not mini Harvard that is absurd. Atlanta's gonna be tough; UGA would be a MUCH better option for Atlanta. FSU also isn't gonna do much work for you in Atlanta. Don't go to FSU hoping to work outside of FL. UM is not "ratchet surroundings," but it is hilariously overpriced for the job prospects you will have.

TBF, if UM stacks a 25% scholly and you have family in Miami, it's not a bad deal. Otherwise, yeah.. keep looking.

The only firm I can say for sure hires from UM is Weil & Gotshal.. and that was ages ago IIRC.

tdaniellep

Postby tdaniellep » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:20 am

rad law wrote:

I do not believe atlanta is all that tough. There are many great opportunities its more so a question of are you qualified...of course a person who BS their law school career will be the first to scream "hard job market", "bad city"...etc. GSU is smack dab in the middle of the city there really isnt a reason why one shouldnt exceed. Miami is overpriced...expect their schools to be overpriced as well

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:22 am

tdaniellep wrote:
rad law wrote:

I do not believe atlanta is all that tough. There are many great opportunities its more so a question of are you qualified...of course a person who BS their law school career will be the first to scream "hard job market", "bad city"...etc. GSU is smack dab in the middle of the city there really isnt a reason why one shouldnt exceed. Miami is overpriced...expect their schools to be overpriced as well

/facepalm

It doesn't matter if you're top 20% of your class if your school gets 2 firms for OCI and not much else. *THATS* what gives ranking: placement.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 am

tdaniellep wrote:
rad law wrote:

Your beliefs are wrong. HTH.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:26 am

tdaniellep wrote:
rad law wrote:

It is actually really tough there. Firms halved or cut summer classes entirely. Jobs that used to go to GSU students are going to desperate UGA students. Furthermore, there are plenty of grads from prestigious schools (UVA/Duke/Vandy/Emory) that want to work in the city. It's not a question of BSing your law school career or not. There are plenty of kids over median at UGA who are scrambling for jobs. It's a question of GSU students being low on the totem pole for available jobs, of which there are not enough to go around.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:27 am

beachbum wrote:
tdaniellep wrote:
rad law wrote:

Your beliefs are wrong. HTH.

I need people like this in UF to pad their curve.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”