PS and DS in one? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gnmnkch

New

PS and DS in one?

Post by gnmnkch » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 pm

My PS is about how I developed an interest in how cultures affect perceptions of the law while living abroad for 9 years prior to college, leading me to want to pursue an education in the law and eventually serve as a bridge between the two cultures in the legal field... or something along those lines. i also feel like i am one of those guys who should write a DS as i've lived abroad 9 years and thus am a pretty culturally diverse dude. however, writing the DS feels like it'd just be a repeat of my PS... anybody else have this problem? should i just screw the DS?

Platinum

Re: PS and DS in one?

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Maybe choose something else to write your PS about since you have a very good DS topic. If you have the room on the application to bring to light two positives about yourself, why not take advantage? (If you can write it well and not waste their time)

Destined

New

Post by Destined » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:02 am

gnmnkch wrote:My PS is about how I developed an interest in how cultures affect perceptions of the law while living abroad for 9 years prior to college, leading me to want to pursue an education in the law and eventually serve as a bridge between the two cultures in the legal field... or something along those lines. i also feel like i am one of those guys who should write a DS as i've lived abroad 9 years and thus am a pretty culturally diverse dude. however, writing the DS feels like it'd just be a repeat of my PS... anybody else have this problem? should i just screw the DS?

had the same problem with mine. moved 16 times through 8 countries as a kid so it pretty much defined my life. Decided that id go for the "clear, concise" approach that the adcomms are so fond of and just do a PS

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 am

gnmnkch wrote:My PS is about how I developed an interest in how cultures affect perceptions of the law while living abroad for 9 years prior to college, leading me to want to pursue an education in the law and eventually serve as a bridge between the two cultures in the legal field... or something along those lines. i also feel like i am one of those guys who should write a DS as i've lived abroad 9 years and thus am a pretty culturally diverse dude. however, writing the DS feels like it'd just be a repeat of my PS... anybody else have this problem? should i just screw the DS?
Are you a URM?
Yes: Write a DS.
No: Integrate it into your PS.

gnmnkch

New

Post by gnmnkch » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:54 am

i'm an ORM, so i suppose the answer is still to just incorporate it all into my PS? Any other diversity-related PS writers out there who care to share their decisions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”